Potato blackleg? Dig them all up??

• 4 Replies

BarefootDancer

Potato blackleg? Dig them all up??
« on: July 19, 2010, 13:00 »
Hi everyone,

I went to check on my patch yesterday (after a slightly extended absence due to a family bereavement) and found that one of my desiree potato plants was looking decidedly sick.

Very yellow, spindly and with curled upper leaves.  Did some reading/ Googling and suspect it's blackleg.  Didn't check the stems at the time as very uneducated in pest/diseases! 

Does blackleg sound likely/the most probable cause? I'm definitely going to dig up the affected plant anyway, but am now worried about the others.  There are a couple more with some slightly yellowing lower leaves - should these come up too? 

They don't look too bad..... I would have assumed they were just a little parched in the hot weather, if I hadn't seen the one plant that looks really sick! Especially as they are furthest away from the wilted plant.  But will certainly dig them up if that's the best course of action - don't want to lose the whole lot if I can help it!

Thanks,
Barefoot

"Perhaps we could just dig up that bit of lawn......and plant more veg?"

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato blackleg? Dig them all up??
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 13:46 »
I would just dig up the sick one and see exactly what is going on with that, before I thought about the others. Yellowing bottom leaves is common at this time of year in my experience.

Blackleg seems to be a common problem this year though :(

BarefootDancer

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 14:24 »
I would just dig up the sick one and see exactly what is going on with that, before I thought about the others. Yellowing bottom leaves is common at this time of year in my experience.

Blackleg seems to be a common problem this year though :(

Thanks for the advice, will dig up the sickly one and see what I find.......   Might try and take a few pics too, just in case my diagnosis is inconclusive!

Barefoot

BarefootDancer

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 13:26 »

Panic over!!  I dug up the sickly looking plant, only to find that the roots and stem were fine (no mush or black rot in sight) and there were 7 lovely potatoes lurking underneath   :D

Pete from "The Big Plot" next door reckons that this particular plant just matured and died back much earlier than the others, hence looking a bit sick in comparison.

Think I've become an allotment hypercondriac.....  ::)  Most unlike me - will ovbiously have to a) chill out a bit and b) increase my veggie knowledge via the articles and posts from all you lovely people on here  :wub:

Thanks again,
Barefoot xx

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 13:44 »
I'm glad it was good news :D

xx
Potato blackleg

Started by Lottiegob on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 11:08
by Lottiegob
xx
Potato blackleg

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 00:11
by mumofstig
question
Potato Blackleg

Started by devonbarmygardener on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 02, 2014, 21:41
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Potato blackleg

Started by hasbeans on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2019, 05:58
by hasbeans

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 37 queries.