growing onions

• 24 Replies

viettaclark

Re: growing onions
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 23:49 »
Solway, I have fed and watered them now and hope they plump up!! Thanks.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 17:27 »
i started to have flower heads on mine too which i broke off. I thought the odd weather we have had with snow etc that they may have got confused with heat etc hence flowering already when they are small. if i grow white onions from seeds in august in loose compost, then from your personal experience what indication do i use to judge when they are ready to plant outside? for example out of the tray i pull one out what do i need to looks for that its ready to sow outside, does a bulb begin to form?

sorry about the questions.   :wub:

Mani

veggirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 17:15 »
I put in sets from Wilco last October - one packet each of white, red and yellow. The yellow are mostly good large orange sized, red nearly as big, whites are very mixed - a few tennis ball sized, most the size of a golf ball or smaller. The tops have fallen over, and I've dug a few. The flavour of the whites is excellent, but I don't know if I'll bother with them next year. The garlic (a friend brought heads back from the Isle of Wight Garlic Festival) is doing great, but not quite ready for another week or so.

mark0912

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 21:41 »
i thought my garlic was looking great then today found its looking too good! turns out they are spare onions i just stuck in the bed. garlic must not have made it through the winter snow

bit sad I was looking forward to fresh garlic. silly mark!

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 12:37 »
garlic has grown excellent too.  8)

last 2 years me and my dad were just putting them in the ground around Feb/Mar but when the green died back and bug them out they were just round single bulbs. This year did some asking around with some pro's and they said they survive the cold winter and need to be in the ground from Nov onwards, now few weeks back dad dug them up and we have something we can call "Garlic"   :lol:

Just a quick question the garlic flowers at the top with a little tail sticking from the top and inside are very small bulbs, can this be grown in the ground as a single lot or are they pretty useless? has anyone used these and grown garlic from them ?

zazen999

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 19:05 »
garlic has grown excellent too.  8)

last 2 years me and my dad were just putting them in the ground around Feb/Mar but when the green died back and bug them out they were just round single bulbs. This year did some asking around with some pro's and they said they survive the cold winter and need to be in the ground from Nov onwards, now few weeks back dad dug them up and we have something we can call "Garlic"   :lol:

Just a quick question the garlic flowers at the top with a little tail sticking from the top and inside are very small bulbs, can this be grown in the ground as a single lot or are they pretty useless? has anyone used these and grown garlic from them ?

Those are called 'bulbils' and you can grow from them, but I think they need an extra year to make a split garlic head.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 08:46 »
i think next year i will try and grow white onions. Anyone tried growing from seeds?

I have always grown from Sets in the past, and the results have been mediocre. This year I grew from seeds in small modules (about 1" square), teased out the roots when I planted them, and Boy! they look like the real thing. Not had a single one bolt yet (and Summer's don't come much drier than we've had this year) so I shall be going the seed route in future.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 12:50 »
I agree with Kristen, this is the first year of trying from seed and they are looking great far better than the sets. Sowed Kamal Red and Bedfordshire Champion on 17th Jan and planted out 8th May, will do the same next year if alls well with this years crop.
Paul

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 12:58 »
I've grown red and white overwintered this year, and both have done very nicely, am lifting some now, and have reds (will have to look back for variety) the size of grapefruit, and the white (Radar) about the same.

My spring planted ones are smaller so far, but coming on, the Red Barons aren't tennis ball sized so far though...

Grew some Bedfordshire champion and Kelsae too from seed over winter, and put out in the spring, and they've done well too.

Phill  :) :)

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 22:54 »
I've always planted setts in early spring and all the whites seem to do well. However reds always tend to go to seed and not store well.
Mission for this year is to try and find a successful red that will do well round here from seed or sett.
aelf where they reds by anychance and if so which variety? ;) ;)

xx
Does anyone have experience growing multiplier onions? A.K.A. potato onions?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 02, 2020, 21:36
by Subversive_plot
xx
Growing Onions

Started by gilesi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 29, 2015, 15:52
by Lesleyk
xx
growing onions

Started by tracy-fuerteventura on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 18:05
by DD.
xx
Growing onions - same bed or not?

Started by djbnat on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 19:35
by pdblake

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 35 queries.