Sinister Beasties killing my Gooseberries!

• 0 Replies

Mike

Sinister Beasties killing my Gooseberries!
« on: June 12, 2007, 13:18 »
When I took over my plot I had the fortune of inheriting a small but healthy Gooseberry bush.  While its not going to produce pots of jam making material I had hoped for enough for a good fool (insert own joke).

However it seems im fighting a war with the beasties!.  2 weeks ago I noticed some of the leaves had begun to turn a slight reddish colour.  Nothing to worry about I assumed.. could be all this warm weather.  But now the lush green ends of each branch are becoming shrivelled, dry husks.  Closer inspection has revealed what looks like aphids (small black beasties everywhere).

Short of bug-knapping a large number of ladybirds to carry out mass aphid extermination im at a bit of a loss on what to do and wonder if my poor bush will survive the ordeal.  There are still a good number of gooseberries on the bush but I fear their days may be numbered.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Mike

p.s the little monsters have migrated to the inherited Globe artichoke plant and its 5 wonderful fruits... however a small army of ladybirds were spotted on a search and destroy mission this weekend so fingers crossed it will be safe!

xx
Beasties

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2021, 15:41
by cc
xx
Wee Black Beasties

Started by DadBear on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 22:36
by Aunt Sally
xx
Feeding gooseberries and gooseberries in pots

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 21:29
by londongardener
xx
Protecting my veg patch against beasties

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 09:40
by JayG

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 35 queries.