asparagus picking - from 2 yr crowns

• 12 Replies

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
asparagus picking - from 2 yr crowns
« on: April 16, 2010, 21:29 »
I planted some 2 year old Gijnlim crowns last April/May. I think they were 2 year crowns (maybe 3 year but certainly more than 1 year). Some spears came through last year which I ignored. This year I have a few scores of spears already about 6" above the ground. Do I leave them totally this year too or pick a few from each plant? In which case, do I just let the rest of the spears die off naturally?

DavidT

Re: asparagus picking - from 2 yr crowns
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 21:42 »
You shouldn`t start harvesting until the crowns are at least 5 years old, and then not fully until they are 7 years old. :D

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 00:00 »
I planted 2 year old plants Gijnlim two years ago. The instructions I had with them were to leave all the stems in the planting year, cut everything just for 3 weeks in the next year and then harvest until mid June in subsequent years.

According to that you can cut all of your spears for 3 weeks this year and then leave anything after that to mature.

From what I understand Gijnlim is a hybrid sterile variety and this treatment is OK. This is not so with most other varieties which should not be cut for another year.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 00:20 »
I planted some 2 year old Gijnlim crowns last April/May. I think they were 2 year crowns (maybe 3 year but certainly more than 1 year). Some spears came through last year which I ignored. This year I have a few scores of spears already about 6" above the ground. Do I leave them totally this year too or pick a few from each plant? In which case, do I just let the rest of the spears die off naturally?

take a 3rd and no more.

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 00:55 »
You shouldn`t start harvesting until the crowns are at least 5 years old, and then not fully until they are 7 years old. :D

Just put some 1 yr old crowns in. I thought I knew I'd need to hold back next year, but imagined I'd get away with a mini-feast next year. But you're saying I need to hold off till 2014, and not pig-out till 2016  :ohmy:

lacewing

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 06:35 »
I agree with Salmo.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 06:49 »

Thats not entirely correct for all you new asparagus fans.

Blimey..you'd never pick the stuff.

My 1 year old crowns are in their 2nd year. I won't harvest this year and will cut a few next year and than crop lots during the asparagus season.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 08:19 »
I thought to some extent it depended on the variety?

I read somewhere (and I can't remember where now) that with a couple of the newer F1s you can take a very small crop (ie more than the one spear) on the second year.  I do remember noting that it wasn't the variety I've planted a few weeks back, so it's just the one spear next year for me and looking for a slightly tastier albeit still small dinner in 2012....

:D

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

savbo

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 10:41 »
david's guidance in the Vegetable Growing section on here recognises that many won't be able to resisit a spear or two in the first year!

Trikidiki

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 13:48 »
I ordered Gijnlim from New Park Farm about a month ago. They arrived last Thursday, 12" long thick roots. I was a little worried as there appeared to be quite a few buds knocked off. However I planted them on Thursday, covered them with some polythene cloches.

I lifted the cloches today and there are already some 4" shoots, looking very tempting.

The instructions say I can take a few shoots next spring.

I'll have to remove all sharp implements from the allotment for the next few weeks.

savbo

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 14:20 »
while googling asparagus knives and depths to cut (though given I only finished planting our 24 plants on saturday I know this is a little premature) I found a site (Ohio state Uni) saying to snap the asparagus rather than cutting it as this is less likely to damage other shoots and will heal more quickly - but I've not seen this advice elsewhere - what are people's thoughts?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 14:52 »
I have tried the "snapping off" technique for the exact reasons you quote Savbo, but found the spears either snapped off at ground level or were so firmly attached that I felt I was probably doing a lot of damage underground trying to rip them out!

As long as you know that the crowns are at least a couple of inches below the surface then I think using a sharp knife run down the spear to about an inch below the soil is the easiest and safest way (or maybe I'm just cack-handed!)  ;)

If anyone wants to know what those spindly 2 year-old crowns look like after about 6 years here's a pic of one of mine exposed by removing my mint pot for repotting. The actual crown was planted about 2 feet away from the centre of the hole, and probably illustrates why they need to be well established before they can withstand all their early shoots being removed!
STA70025.JPG
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 17:39 »
I got some Gijnlin crowns from Robinsons last year - I need to ring them to find out if they were 1 or 2 year old crowns. I have some lovely thick stems appearing but I am going to resist cutting any this year despite some books etc saying you can harvest a stem from each crown. This way, next year I will be in asparagus heaven.!  ::) :tongue2: :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
rhubarb crowns & asparagus crowns planting tips please

Started by SIR,,, PLANTALOT on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 19:38
by Minty
xx
asparagus crowns

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 12, 2007, 22:40
by Trillium
xx
Asparagus crowns

Started by mr Isaccs on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 08:50
by mr Isaccs
xx
asparagus crowns

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 20, 2012, 19:35
by Rampant_Weasel

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 34 queries.