Blackfly

• 9 Replies

Nugget

Blackfly
« on: June 05, 2007, 18:15 »
i only in my second year on the allotment, and have broad beans which i planted in april and some are covered in blackfly, which is the best way to get rid of and what prevents it, its not on all the plants just a couple but could it spread? What if i was to plant them in the autumn would that stop it?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Nugget
theres nothing more lonesome, morbid or drear than to stand at the bar of a pub with no beer!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Blackfly
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 18:27 »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Nugget

Blackfly
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 18:32 »
Cheers Digger Dave guessed it would be on the forum somewhere just couldnt be bothered to look  :)

duncan

Re: Blackfly
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 19:14 »
Quote from: "Nugget"
i only in my second year on the allotment, and have broad beans which i planted in april and some are covered in blackfly, which is the best way to get rid of and what prevents it, its not on all the plants just a couple but could it spread? What if i was to plant them in the autumn would that stop it?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Nugget

soapy water in a spray bottle
growing big onions  leeks parsnips carrots ..

hotterotter

Blackfly
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 20:21 »
Overwintering is suppposed to help a bit the logic being that the plants are tougher having been chilled and grown more slowly in the colder weather, making them less attractive to blackfly. To overwinter beans successfully you need a soil that doesn't get waterlogged in winter and also have a mild enough climate, but it has to be pretty cold to kill them.

One treatment I've heard on here, I think from Muntjac is to spray with tobbaco water (1/2 ounce soaked in 5 pints water? something like that). It presumbly would kill ladybirds etc as well though as nicotene is very poisonous. I've shyed away from using this as my broad beans have lots of ladybird larva on them too, which will hopefully go on to eat aphids on my plot long after the beans are gone.

Tom

Blackfly
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 20:48 »
Hi Nugget I've heared that ladybirds eat blackfly! So collect a few in your garden and just release them in the allotment!  :D   :wink:

Nugget

Blackfly
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 22:12 »
cheers all, i think the soapy water in the bottle will be good to try and then overwinter next year.

Like the idea of the ladybirds Tom, i will hunt them down  :) , i see from your profile you not to far from me, im in swindon every thursday for the speedway  :)

Tom

Blackfly
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 16:28 »
You like speedway do ya. I'm not reallya fan but i've hered there on about buliding a new track!  :D

Nugget

Blackfly
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 23:02 »
yeah and plans have been approved for the new stadium recently, should be good especially as we are favourites for this years championship title  :)

crichmond

Blackfly
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 00:28 »
I started mine in the greenhouse this year after losing the entire crop last year (last year was my first year on the plot) I planted them out about 3 weeks ago and havent had any on them, although I have had them on my artichokes but have used spray for that.

Cheers Chris

xx
Blackfly

Started by Pimento on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2015, 12:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
blackfly

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 04, 2006, 21:27
by noshed
xx
Blackfly

Started by pistonbroke on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 21:41
by Teen76
xx
blackfly... help!

Started by clarabel on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 22:24
by clarabel

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 36 queries.