green house advice pls

• 5 Replies

Rowan

• Experienced Member
green house advice pls
« on: November 27, 2009, 14:42 »
Hi All

I'm in the fortunate position where my auntie and uncle want rid of a 8ft x 6ft greenhouse and i have an 8ft x 6ft space in my garden  :D

My problem is its resonably old.... what is the best way to take apart an old greenhouse? should you photo and label bits before dismantling?

I'll obviously clean it before putting it back up but can anyone suggest things i should renew or replace while its in bits?

I know there are a few pieces of glass missing so i was going to replace with lexan (perspex)

Any tips and advice welcome

Thanks

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
Re: green house advice pls
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 15:05 »
Depends how you are transporting it.
 I took all the glass out first ;)  Then transported both the front and back in one piece. The ridge bar on the roof I took with all the down sections attached. So the only loose pieces I had were the vertical side bars. I got all this into a 6x4 trailer. :)
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

Rowan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 15:51 »
Ah yeah, mine is going into the back of a Mondeo!

so i'll have to strip it down to the smallest components.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 16:11 »
I typed secondhand greenhouse into the box on the information page and found this

Tips for re-building a Greenhouse
So, my conclusions and tips for buying a second hand greenhouse.

•Take the house down yourself; don't buy one that has been taken down because you will not have a clue how to put it back together
•If you have a digital camera, take some photographs before taking the greenhouse down – these will help you when you re-assemble it.
•Take an indelible marker and mark major pieces – "Front Left Corner" etc
•Take WD40 or a penetrating oil to help with stuck nuts and bolts, a metal hacksaw may be needed for solidly rusted parts. Spanners and pliers as well.
•Take some good gloves – handling glass with bare hands is very risky.
•Before re-assembling the greenhouse, buy twice as many nuts and bolts as you think you will need and twice as many "W" glazing clips. Bet you still run out! My 8 foot by 6 foot greenhouse used 200 of those.
Finally, again, take great care handling glass. Glass weakens with age and hairline cracks can cause a pane to break when you least expect. Work slow and safe.
The info pages can be really helpful :)

beansticks

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 18:29 »
Having erected two 8x6 greenhouses,i agree with all the above.I would certainly change the bolts,you may find the existing ones may be a tad rusty,if so when you undo them they get a little warm and will shear.My biggest tip is the most obvious one,spend plenty of time getting the base level in all directions,check the diagonal dimensions are the same,and when erecting the frame,use a spirit level continuously to ensure sides and ends are square,failure to do so will result in the roof glass not fitting correctly and you will end up having to cut the glass.Finally take your time and good luck.
PS wear gloves etc.

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 19:51 »
Remove the roof glazing bars and vent also the ridge. Tie the bars to the ridge and put to one side with the vent.  Remove the door, put to on side. Dismantle the front, that is the two corner pieces, glazing bars, straining bars, door frame, runner, bootom cill and eaves. Bundle together and put aside. Next dismantle one of the sides, glazing bars, straining bars, gutter cill and bottom cill, bundle together. Repeat for the back and second side. This way you know that each bundle contains the correct parts for each section.Buy spare nuts and bolts, W clips and Z clips. :D

xx
mini green house advice...

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 05, 2008, 16:47
by weeeed
xx
Green house help

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 20:41
by DD.
xx
green house?

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 10:13
by TINTIN
xx
GREEN HOUSE

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 22:05
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 36 queries.