Potatoes - Again

• 5 Replies

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
Potatoes - Again
« on: July 24, 2009, 10:11 »
This is a leaf from my International Kidney potatoes which have been in the ground for 13 weeks now.  No flowers have been produced, or even flower buds, but I did have a furtle around and had two good meals from them so far.  Yesterday I found a few spots on the leaves,  can anyone tell me what these are?  The longer the spuds are in the ground, the more paranoid I am that the dreaded blight arrives and takes the crop.  According to what I read the International Kidney is a second early so I should wait 16 weeks before harvesting them.  This being another 3 weeks I am on a daily inspection to ensure that they are OK.  Or should I harvest them now while the going is good??  This is my first year at potato growing, so any advice would be very much appreciated.
Potato leaf.jpg

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Potatoes - Again
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 10:14 »
Looks more like old age than blight to me.

International Kidney are a first early, so you would expect them to start going over.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:30 »
Looks more like old age than blight to me.

International Kidney are a first early, so you would expect them to start going over.

I'm a bit confused about whether IK is first early or second early.  I have read first early somewhere, but the British Potato Variety Database has it down as a second early.  I also have Anya, which I thought was a first early but again their listing has these as second earlies.  The Anya have also not flowered.  I harvested a meal of these yesterday and they were quite large, with a couple of small ones going a bit soft.  Maybe now is the time to get them all dug up, I feel they are all ready to eat now.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 10:44 »
Either way, I wouldn't be suprised if they were going over - mine second earlies are.

Not all potatoes flower, some may just drop their buds before you notice them.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 14:57 »
Dig one up and see what they are like. Going to take all mine up IF I get some time away from this hell (work) next week hopefully. My Charlotte's and Desiree are both great now and have been eating them for 2 weeks, just want them out of the ground before slugs have their party.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 17:50 »
I have planted two rows of I.K. and treat them as second early after Duke of York and Pentland Javelin. No flowers on mine either but they came up last week end. Excellent crop, with some scab and about 5% slug damage. Washed and dried and stored in paper bags in the shed. Started using the damaged ones and the big potatoes have rotted in the centre. I put that down to change of weather from last month dry (I even watered them) to this month very wet.
I also have two rows of Kestrel which I regard as second early and the haulms are already turning yellow. They will come out next week to make way for PSB.
They both were planted 14 weeks ago so I would be inclined to start lifting them. If they are clean then lift as required.

xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
potatoes

Started by oldtimer on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 16:03
by DD.

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 35 queries.