peas

• 5 Replies

Deano27

• Experienced Member
peas
« on: April 16, 2007, 22:04 »
i've read that you need to cover pea seedlings from birds.  do i need to protect them until they get to a certain height? so far i've got cloches over them but am aware this is keeping them very warm.  mine are currently about 2-3" high.  at what point can i uncover them?

splodger

peas
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 22:30 »
your lucky that you only have birds to worry about - many people lose peas to the mice - thats why you see some people putting down sharps like holly or thorns at the base of the peas - but the mice love them so much they would probably walk across hot coals to get them (that is when pods have formed)

have you got any wired frames - they are great to keep birds of your seedlings - they are easy enough to make with a bit of chicken or avairy wire.

if mice are a problem in your area - a tip for later - mice dont like mint so you could use fresh leaves or essence to keep them away - or a really nasty one is peanut butter - mice have a nut intolerance and the high concentration in peanut butter sends them into shock - but they cant resist to try it :D

in fact peanut butter works for many pests - its great for the garden.

peanut97

peas
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 13:05 »
unless you have a peanut allergy like me and my kids! you wouldn't want peanuts anywhere near your crops! I am feeling sorry for the mice now, don't send them into shock, it's bad!

WG.

peas
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 13:06 »
Quote from: "peanut97"
unless you have a peanut allergy like me and my kids! you wouldn't want peanuts anywhere near your crops!

What a strange choice of username for you then ...

peanut97

peas
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 16:21 »
That is why I chose it, easy to remember! To be honest it is not severe with me, only tingling in the mouth and sometimes a rash but my eldest is highly allergic to peanuts, only got to be in the same room as them. He has gone into shock twice, scary.

I am also allergic to pineapple, but again not severe, i get stomach cramps and a rash.

It's a pity about the allergies because I love pineapple and peanut butter, it could have been something like fish, I hate that!

WG.

peas
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 16:24 »
I also chose my username as being easy to remember ... only I love both!!    :lol:  :lol:

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
peas

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2010, 11:19
by mumofstig
xx
peas

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 12, 2011, 10:20
by Salmo

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 31 queries.