Total Newbie!

• 8 Replies

DaveM

Total Newbie!
« on: June 11, 2009, 14:09 »
Hi All!

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I am a complete novice when it comes to growing. The most I've done is basil and chilli's in the kitchen, and even then they decided being compost was better than living in my flat!

But - not detered I have just signed up to my very first 1/2 plot of allotment space!

Only problem is, being a total novice I have no idea where to begin! The plot hasn't been touched in 15 months and so is, as you can imagine, like a forest! There are a couple of things I would like to try and salvage if possible - one is a rosemary bush and the other is some blackerry bushes.

If anybody can give me some advice on clearing the plot and what to plant at this time of the year that'd be great! I'm not kidding myself and thinking I can get 100% of the land utilised, but wouldn't mind trying to get some potatoes or onions going?

Are there any tips on clearing, or is it just a case of hands and knees and ripping?

What can I sow at this time of year?

Also, I need to invest in equipment - what sorts of things should I look at getting now?

I appreciate that I'm asking a lot so please feel free to point me in the direction of books, websites or other posts! I'm not afraid of doing a little 'digging'!!! :0)

Thanks all in advance!

(great site by the way!)

Trillium

Re: Total Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 15:21 »
Invest in a decent garden fork which makes digging up weed roots a lot easier. With a fork you also take time to find any other treasures worth saving and moving elsewhere on your plot.
A good spade will help you turn the soil or mix in amendments. A watering jug will be handy if there are no hosepipes on your allotment.
Then the usuals: hat, bucket to cart away rocks or whatever, flask of tea/water.
If weeds are quite high, borrow or hire a strimmer to get them down to size.
Some netting is also needed against pigeons who love pea seedlings and other interesting green bits sticking out of the ground.
There are lots of other items you'll eventually want or need but these are good starter basics until you decide if you really like veg gardening.

Some people choose to rotovate their plots but for the most part it tends to chop up pernicious weed roots which will only multiply that many more times. Once the weeds are cut down, you can choose to spray glyphosphate (Roundup is one) to kill the roots but you must wait a few weeks for it to work.
To get a crop going, it's better if you dig up the weeds in a small patch at a time, amend the soil with compost or manure (often available through your allotment group) and start with something small like lettuce, spinach, beets or chard. Or, you could put in started tomato plants as its getting a bit late to start your own from seed.
As you work a section at a time, keep the rest of the plot covered with cardboard held down with rocks or bricks. This will suffocate any fresh weed seeds and make your job easier.
Talk to your local allotmenteers about any disease and pest problems in the area so you know what you're up against. They may even offer some leftover seedlings.

DaveM

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 15:27 »
Hi Trillium

Thanks so much for your advice! My friend's just phoned actually - we're going to try and get a start on it tomorrow!

There is a manure pile at the allotment so I can borrow from that! The chap did mention about the wood pigeons in the area so will take with those. I noticed some plots had CD's on like a clothes line - ingenious!

Great tip about the cardboard - it's a sizeable plot so that'll make it a lot easier!

I wasn't aware you could get started veg! That's great - I'll put some of that in as I'm well aware I'm kind of the end of the sowing season!

The wife's just mentioned about growing flowers. Are there any considerations you know of with growing flowers and veg in the same area?

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 15:32 »
Not at all re the flowers. In fact marigolds can help no ends if you sow them near to parsnips and carrotts. (Both of which you cans till sow now).  There is a nasty critter called the carrot fly that can ruin your crop. They find the carrots by smell but high aroma plants like marigolds mask the carrot smell and put them off.

My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 15:37 »
Flowers and veg are good companions as the flowers attract bees which will help pollinate your crops. But be aware that some allotments frown on flowers so ask your plot manager or any plot neighbours on this.

Started veg plants are available at most garden centres or nurseries. Ask your fellow plotters to recommend good and affordable sources as some places are outright exorbitant. You can usually get peppers, toms, beets, cucumbers, sprouts, etc. Next year you can start your own but I doubt that this year you can clear enough space in time to plant all you'd like to put in. Consider this year as the clearing and prep year as it will be long hard work. Some weeds like bindweed and mares tail, if you have them, can be a perpetual nightmare.

The CD's are a popular item but rarely work. Netting is the best defense, and it needs to be tacked down well as the cheeky birds will walk under it.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 15:39 »
Flowers and veg are good companions as the flowers attract bees which will help pollinate your crops. But be aware that some allotments frown on flowers so ask your plot manager or any plot neighbours on this.

Started veg plants are available at most garden centres or nurseries. Ask your fellow plotters to recommend good and affordable sources as some places are outright exorbitant. You can usually get peppers, toms, beets, cucumbers, sprouts, etc. Next year you can start your own but I doubt that this year you can clear enough space in time to plant all you'd like to put in. Consider this year as the clearing and prep year as it will be long hard work. Some weeds like bindweed and mares tail, if you have them, can be a perpetual nightmare.

The CD's are a popular item but rarely work. Netting is the best defense, and it needs to be tacked down well as the cheeky birds will walk under it.

Forgot to mention that pigeons particularly love all the brassicas - sprouts, cabbage, kale, etc. They rarely bother toms or peppers.

DaveM

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 15:53 »
So much advice - thanks guys!

Marigolds + Carrots \ Parsnips = no carrot fly! Great!!

The wife and I love Parsnips so I was hoping to get some of them in the ground - go nice with a bit of roast beef on a Sunday!

Will defo try and get some cardboard too!

Glad to hear we're not too late for the carrots and parsnips though - although, state of the plot we might be by the time I clear it :0( !

Thanks again for your help guys!

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 16:01 »
Just one more thing. Some folks find that marigolds and/or chives just aren't enough to deter carrot fly. One fellow put up a plastic sheeting fence around his carrot bed and it worked very well. Others bring in old clawfoot bathtubs and plant their carrots and parsnips in that. Carrot fly hovers up to 2 ft from the ground. Above that, they're not able to reach plants. Just so you know.

DaveM

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 16:10 »
Excellent - I work for a bathroom company so that might not be too difficult for me to come by!

I suppose a nice basin in a vanity unit might work just as well and look just as quirky!

xx
Hi from a total newbie

Started by cabte on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 22:22
by cabte
xx
Total newbie seeking help!

Started by shelley.s on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 12:17
by shelley.s
xx
As a total novice

Started by tonybristol on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 20:09
by Jay Dubya
xx
Almost the end of my first year - not a total success!!

Started by ianjmatt on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 13:31
by ianjmatt

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 35 queries.