Soil going green in pots

• 22 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Soil going green in pots
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 15:07 »
Ivor - please do not make personal attacks on posters. This forum has long been, quite rightly, regarded as one of the most friendly ones around. Your manner of posting will not help perpetuate this.

As for wandering off topic, it happens on here, no one really bothers too much, so, sorry, if you want to stay onside, it's something you'll have to get used to.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ivor Backache

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 15:21 »
DD I have not made any personal attack on anyone!! I have just maintained my point of view. As for wandering off topic, I got use to that on day one.
Broadhaven asked a perfectly reasonable question. Damping off and blight are not part of his/her answer.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 15:26 »
I see.

So naming someone and then proceeding to point out the errors of their ways is not personal.

Thank you for enlightening me.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 16:41 »
Welllllll.....  I would NEVER use rain water from me butt to water seedlings.  I have a can of tap water filled at all times and it stays in the greenhouse so that it is at ambient temperature and it sits there over night so that any residual chlorine volatilises before use   :)

And if you keep your compost too wet it WILL grow green algae on the top and your plans will also be in danger of damping off.

Aunty has spoken !

I appologise if I've not answered the OP's question but I didn't read it  ::)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 17:13 »
Yes its usually overwatering that turns the soil green and slightly mossy looking
Yes its not recommended to use rainwater to water new seeds/seedlings until they establish themselves..sometimes this cant be done..nevertherless it is recommended to use tapwater at first

Is that clear?

Sorry about the way this thread went Broadhaven,hope it doesnt put you off!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 18:38 »
FGS! Lets stick to the script. The question was 'Why soil in some of my pots go green'. Kristan then quotes RHS who are talking about damping off which is a totally different and far more serious issue. Furthermore he then highlights a sentence on tapwater out of a whole page to make his point. ???

There was another recent thread on water in a butt turning green. Don't recall anyone suggesting throw away the rainwater and fill up from the tap! :lol:

Broadhaven: You are doing nothing wrong. You can scrap off the green but when you pot on or plant out the green will be buried and gone for good.

FGS again! What has blight got to do with it. Might as well get a flame thrower.

i cant help but laugh at your post :D

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 18:42 »
DD I have not made any personal attack on anyone!! I have just maintained my point of view. As for wandering off topic, I got use to that on day one.
Broadhaven asked a perfectly reasonable question. Damping off and blight are not part of his/her answer.

i normally dont get involved with minor slaggings.
but i think you need to do some research as regards horticulture.then your posts may have some credibility.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 18:54 »
I think the original questrion has been answered so I've locked the topic to prevent any more bad feeling  ::)

xx
from pots to soil

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 00:42
by TheSpartacat
xx
Allotment Soil In Pots...?

Started by michellela on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 22:58
by michellela
xx
Old soil/compost from pots

Started by Babycat on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 11:21
by BostonInbred
xx
green soil!

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 06, 2007, 00:24
by mushroom

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 35 queries.