Tiny holes in potatoes

• 8 Replies

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Tiny holes in potatoes
« on: October 12, 2008, 09:58 »
I have just finsihed digging up the last of our spuds, and lots of them (but not all) have little hol;es in them, and I noticed A tiny creature. they look like millepedes, but are so thin, but a good 3 cm long.
They have loads of legs ,and pictures 9google) I have seen of wireworms look like they only have legs at the front.
any ideas??

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Tiny holes in potatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 11:04 »
you are right it is wireworm  :(

the spuds should be OK to eat though, just cut out the bit the worm has burrowed into, but if you are planning on storing your taties then separate the ones with damage and use these up first and store any unblemished ones for use later.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Tiny holes in potatoes
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 13:49 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
you are right it is wireworm  :(

the spuds should be OK to eat though, just cut out the bit the worm has burrowed into, but if you are planning on storing your taties then separate the ones with damage and use these up first and store any unblemished ones for use later.

Good advice. You might like to follow on with a mustard green manure which confuses the blessed little bugs into breeding early and reduces the numbers in the soil.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Salmo

Tiny holes in potatoes
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 00:35 »
Millepedes are dark brown and have lots of legs all the way along. They only eat rotting material and are usually found in holes already made by slugs. Wireworms are yellow. They are the larval stage of the click beetle. The eggs are laid on grass, which may be weeds in your plot, and they feed on grass roots for up to two years before hatching into beetles. If you have removed the grass roots they will feed on your potatoes rather than starve.

poppies

Tiny holes in potatoes
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 11:37 »
We had this problem  the first year every one of our potatoes was riddled with holes , last year they were not too bad and this year I did'nt find any, I read that if you plant a few cut potatoes in the bed they will go to them - mind you never tried it so dont know if it works

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Tiny holes in potatoes
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 13:00 »
Thanks all,
 Ihave separated them and have been using the holey ones, but I ahdn't found any alive creature in any before last week when I posted, all the sound ones are in storage for when the holey ones are used!!

I have already got mustard growing on the bed to keep the weeds down, so it's even better to know it will help with this problem.

IT is the first year anything has grown in that patch for a long long time so again, good to know the problem might reduce over time.
xx

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Re: Tiny holes in potatoes pic added with creature!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 20:31 »
So I dug more spuds up yesterday and some of them appear to have scab (urgh!) alot have both scab and this creature, so I took a picture. I hope this works. Some of the potatoes have 8 or 9 of these things, they are what I find if I cut a potato up. They get very curly and have tiny antennae, they are pretty gross actually and are p*ss*ng me off!!

Any ideas??
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 20:42 by loubylou29 »

Faz

• Experienced Member
Re: Tiny holes in potatoes
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 08:55 »
They look like baby millipedes to me. They are probably just taking advantage of the damage on your spud to feed, rather than actually causing the damage themselves. I have found groups of them on the bottoms of my some of beetroot if they have a split in them.

The tiny holes do sound like wireworms, as everyone else has said.

Salmo

Re: Tiny holes in potatoes
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 12:07 »
If they have tiny red spots along the sides they are spotted snake millepedes. They only live on rotting material such as slug damage.

xx
Tiny holes in potatoes

Started by Rach76 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 06, 2019, 10:26
by rowlandwells
xx
Tiny little holes in spuds?

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 10:56
by Yorkie
xx
Tiny holes in my red onions?

Started by BarefootDancer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 14:00
by BarefootDancer
xx
holes in potatoes

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 20:12
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 36 queries.