Wormery

• 1 Replies

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
Wormery
« on: July 27, 2008, 20:11 »
Hi

Does anyone know if its ok to leave the lid off of my womery?

I have had it for a couple of months now and all seems ok.  Its in an out building which is similar to a shed, i usually leave the door wedged open 3 inches for air to circulate but not too much to stop sun shinning in.

It has been really hot in the South East this week and i have found a couple escaping and i wonder if they are a bit too hot.  I have added some extra paper today and found one dead inside.  I know one isnt many but thought id see what you thought.

If i leave the lid off will i find problems with other pests, i e fruit fly?

Thanks for any help

SalJ1980

Wormery
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 22:46 »
Hi JJM. I have no experience as I've just made my wormery on Saturday, and my wormies are being delivered this weekend, I'm very excited.

I don't know if leaving the lid off would attract flies or not, I suppose it might.

I've joined a yahoo group (online and email posts the same way freecycle works) called the_worm_bin, which has a large and active worm community, mainly in the US but some in UK/Europe. There have been a couple of threads recently about temperature, and it's been pointed out that members who live in hot states (Texas, Arizona etc) can maintain their worm bins well enough, so the temps we have here in the summer shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Hope this helps somewhat

Sal...who is very excited about the arrival of 1000 wormies on Saturday!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Sal

Organic...so far!

xx
Wormery!

Started by Oliver on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2006, 11:05
by Oliver
xx
Wormery

Started by littleorchard on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 12:48
by Ropster
xx
Anyone got a wormery??

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 24, 2010, 15:01
by arugula
xx
Has anyone got a wormery?

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2007, 09:14
by upthetump

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 35 queries.