Allotments Act

• 16 Replies

Chappers

• Experienced Member
Allotments Act
« on: May 28, 2008, 18:16 »
It seems that there are many in the same situation as me, at the end of a long waiting list for an allotment. Ive just been reading a bit on the net and have found a small article here. It compels local authorities to provide a reasonable number of plots, usually interpreted as 20 per one thousand households. But the act also means that if six frustrated council tax payers get together and demand more allotments, the councils have to try to find sites.

I live in Warminster, Wilts which has a population of 20,000 and at 20 per 1000 = 400 allotments. We have 101 and i'm number 27 on the list so does the 1908 Act mean that we the community should be provided with more considering the size of the waiting list.

Anyone had any dealings with getting their local authority to provide more allotments, i don't really want to wait 10 years or more, i'd rather enjoy one while i'm still in one piece   :wink:
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

calone2008

Allotments Act
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 18:38 »
yeah i have just sent email to my council about getting an allotment but
I will have to wait for 50 billion years. :(

It would be cool if people all over the country found unused fields and the  people who are on the waiting list can group up and build some. :idea:

there is a field right across the road from me and its blocked off and not in use, but it is right next to an allotment.

Chappers

• Experienced Member
Allotments Act
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 19:01 »
Quote from: "calone2008"
yeah i have just sent email to my council about getting an allotment but
I will have to wait for 50 billion years. :(

It would be cool if people all over the country found unused fields and the  people who are on the waiting list can group up and build some. :idea:

there is a field right across the road from me and its blocked off and not in use, but it is right next to an allotment.

Funny you should say that as there is some mention in the Act about compulsory purchase of land, but getting them to do it is another thing.

calone2008

Allotments Act
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 19:30 »
25 year wait??!!   :shock:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Allotments Act
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 19:30 »
My OH'sister works in the council planning dept, and was saying last week thats there is loads of unused land that the some councils may rent out (unused former garage plots, waste ground etc.) for plots.  Not an allocated allotment area as such, and just a lease thing.

However, if you made this offer the area may not be safe, need fencing, too close to 'bad' areas etc.  In fact I have unused waste ground at the top of my street that could have been used as 3 to 4 plots but would have taken too much money for me to make secure (local yobs hangout and bonfire making area :-(  )
If you have somewhere like that, maybe its worth an ask?
Just an idea, and probably not a helpful one, but maybe you are in an area better suited to that than me?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

calone2008

Allotments Act
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 19:57 »
here is pic of the unused bit

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Allotments Act
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 20:04 »
Certainly looks worth it to look into calone,I would definately ask about it locally to see if anyone knows who owns it, if its being allowed to lie fallow for a while, or privately owned.

I would certainly enquire on that one if I was you, it looks a cracking spot

FCG

Allotments Act
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 20:07 »
It's the same everywhere, there is a ton of places that -could- be used for allotments... but never will because councillors will not shift to be proactive about it. Well, they are never proactive about anything but are reactive to whatever will get them re-elected!

Perhaps a petition to uk gov website?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Allotments Act
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 20:18 »
I know what you are saying FCG, gawd yes!
but if the councillors got an offer of a rent for a unused bit of land, (im sure they'd make it clear it wasnt a statuory lottie site) that maybe then can give them the get up and go to be slightly more pro-active?
I admit I dont have a clue on the legalities of it all, but its not necessarily council owned, so rent on an unused patch could be an incentive to rent out to anyone?

FCG

Allotments Act
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 20:38 »
I personally wouldn't want a 'temp' site for my lotty, all it would take would be a better offer from some developer and wham.. there goes years worth of toil and care.

Living in ellesmere port there are tons of random fields that can be turned into allotments in out of the way places... but it'll never get done. Just too expensive and will not get you as many votes as say putting the same effort & cash into a new playground for kids.

Basically we could band together and demand more - using the act - lets get on google maps!

I'm currently kicking myself for not getting into gear ages ago about getting an allotment next to me, darn. What would you suggest i do while waiting for one?

I was thinking about going along and introducing myself, offering up some help in exchange for being taught the dark arts of allotment growing.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Allotments Act
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 21:12 »
I do understand what you are saying on the 'temp' site, nowhere near as secure arrangement but unfortunately some lottie sites can be sold off too :-(
A temp arrangement can work well by teaching you the basics, and basically just keeping your hand in and enjoying the time growing until you eventually get your own...i had (still have) 3 beds on a community garden that were never mine but I enjoyed the time on them

Id go down there, ask about, offer any help needed and maybe a half plot will be in the offing soon?
And keep at the council, (and I know its easy for me to say now Ive got one, but I felt as bad as you when I found out the waiting list :-( )

Just dont mention the dark arts straight away :-)

lincspoacher

Allotments Act
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 22:41 »
You wouldnt believe it, but here in the most rural farming county in england, allotments are like gold dust. The problem is that  land is cheap (or was) in the growing areas in the south of the county, and the population has increased but the number of allotments hasnt.

An acre of land you could use for allotments is currently about £5000, but how many allotments do you get per acre ?

dereklane

• Experienced Member
Allotments Act
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 23:00 »
Is that bit on Flixton road empty land or privately owned? Its mown - I'm wondering if it awaiting development...

just wondering - as others mentioned, the last thing you'd want is to put some work in (assuming you were allowed to) and have it taken away...

In my opinion, the whole golf course should be recommissioned for allotments - much more useful...

cheers,
Derek

Reece

Allotments Act
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 23:18 »
Hi
I've been trying to get a plot for about five years, sometimes couldn't even get a returned call from the district council. Recently I approached the parish council who told me about the act. Since then I've read it and applied to the parish to provide allotments. You'd be surprised about the positive response. Give it a try you might be as surprised as I was, after all they are working (free) for us.
I just asked at the parents at the local primary school for interested parties and got 10 names in one day. Doesn't look hard to get the required amount.

Council are required to consider an application the trouble is how long they take considering it isn't specified and whether they think it's the best way to spend our money.

They can use the act to aquire (buy or rent) by compulsary order. There is provision in the act for funds to be raised to finance allotments by loans etc but normally it's the ratepayers who foot the bill.

The act state sufficient quantities, now there are a lot less than in the 50s. They were quick enough to sell them when there was an over supply surely then they should find the money now the demand has increased.

I've seen a couple of ratio to residents listed one was 4 acres to the 1000. Generally it was considered 300 square yard would be a full plot therefore 16 plots to the acre but locally there are allotment sites with plots as small as 80 square yards.

Hope this helps

Cheers
All the best with the battle. Don't give up It's the only way.
Give them a handful of seeds and you'll feed them for a day, teach them how to grow food and they'll be down the allotment nattering for ever.

woodburner

Allotments Act
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 23:38 »
It looks like it is or was intended to be access to more houses built on the allotment land, so is probably only slightly more at risk of being 'developed' than the allotments themselves.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
allotments.

Started by sam51 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 22, 2018, 07:25
by paul sadler
xx
ALLOTMENTS

Started by Crumbly Oldy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2011, 19:07
by Willie_Eckerslike
xx
new to allotments

Started by ransome on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 21:45
by binner
xx
New to allotments

Started by Spammy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 25, 2015, 22:37
by juvenal

Page created in 0.556 seconds with 34 queries.