ants AND blackfly on my broad beans

• 16 Replies

lozenge

« on: May 14, 2008, 21:28 »
SO do the ants eat the blackfly or do i try and get rid of both of them? and if i do get rid of them, how?

tia

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 21:32 »
The ants FARM the blackfly by harvesting their sugary secretions.

The solution depends on whether you are organic or not, there are plenty of proprietry sprays on the market & not doubt someone will suggest an organic method. (Fairy liquid perchance?).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 21:39 »
Isn't pinching the tops out a solution !

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 21:41 »
Probably is - but I don't do broad beans!

gobs

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 21:53 »
I don't think you ever get rid of the aphids whilst you have the ants, by any method. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 21:53 »
I would pick off any shoots where there are blackfly.If you can get rid of as many as possible (using washing up liquid diluted is a good way if you have a sprayer) you will find that the ants will leave the area and move on .

Any clean bean tops can be picked and cooked in similar way to Spinach, Delicious !

The Blackfly like the young groiwing tips of the plant , if you pick these,  the Blackfly will go elsewhere and the bean plant will send up side stems.

I noticed  a few of our broadbean plants had a small amount of Blackfly, on the growing tip yesterday, whipped them off as Blackfly multiply very quickly .Ladybirds will eat Blackfly so if you have any ladybirds around encourage them .If you find any in your Garden relocate them to the area where you have Blackfly.

It is a common problem with Broadbeans .
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

gobs

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 22:03 »
Well, I personally find - must be added thousands of ant species, some might behave different is on the cards - ants don't move for any reason, including ant powder, never mind washing up water and so forth, except for their nest being constantly ruined, all the rest seems to me accidental side observation and not at all factual.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 22:18 »
The treatment with washing up liquid is not against the ants gobs but against the blackfly.  The ants are not the pest they are just there to take the sugary secretion from the blackflies.  get rid of the blackflies and tha ants will move on to find more food.

gobs

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 22:21 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
The treatment with washing up liquid is not against the ants gobs but against the blackfly.  The ants are not the pest they are just there to take the sugary secretion from the blackflies.  get rid of the blackflies and tha ants will move on to find more food.

Thanks, ants don't move away if there is no aphids, they move the aphids about. :wink:  the ants are the root of problem, I'm afraid.  :D

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 22:25 »
Interesting Observation, Never thought of it like that so the Ants are using my beans as fodder for their herd of Blackfly ! Mmmm! Next Ants nest gets the boot !Boiling Water treatment just like me old Ma used to do.

gobs

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 22:32 »
Quote from: "corndolly"
Interesting Observation, Never thought of it like that so the Ants are using my beans as fodder for their herd of Blackfly ! Mmmm! Next Ants nest gets the boot !Boiling Water treatment just like me old Ma used to do.

Well, it's not an interesting observation either, it's a well researched, scientific fact of bug life. Known for ages.

Certain species of ants farm leaf suckers and protect them from ladybirds, even take them to their nest for protection and over -wintering. :wink:

What is the washing up liquid for hey, :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

woodburner

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 23:06 »
I've never tried it myself as I didn't know about it last time I got as far as having broad bean plants but Bob Flowerdew says he fed his ants jam (dotted on the bean plants) and they actually ate the aphids.

Of course if the ants are being troublesome in other ways this won't help. When I have ants in the house I use Nippon (boric acid) to get rid of them.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 23:11 »
Gobs , the wash up liquid diluted with water and sprayed onto the Blackfly is an organic method of destroying Blackfly populations . the theory is that the soapy mix immobolises the blackfly and prevents them from sucking the juices out of the growing tip of the bean plant.Often wondered if Hairspray would work ?

I have found that picking the growing tips, when there is only a small infestation, works. I have never had Ants and Blackfly problem.

I think Ants like lighter soils than the Clay I have.

I am not surprised that ants work things to their advantage , I do nt disbelieve you , Ants work as a community .

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 09:44 »
I have exactly the same problem, but with the plants only 4-6 inches high I an not happy about taking out the tips yet. Apparently soap works by dissolving the waterproof waxy coating on the aphid skin, without that they simply dry out and die.

lozenge

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 10:11 »
right then, off i go with my spray.

i don't know why i didn't think of that - it's already worked on my borlotti beans at home.

xx
blackfly on broad beans

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 15:50
by Junie
xx
Broad beans and blackfly

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 15:56
by Chiswickian
xx
Blackfly and Broad Beans

Started by oldgrunge on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 01, 2019, 07:05
by AnneB
xx
broad beans - blackfly resistant cvs?

Started by lozenge on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 19:00
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 39 queries.