PLanting distances in raised beds

• 25 Replies

Feef

« on: April 08, 2008, 23:34 »
New to this site and just planting my first ever raised beds. Am I right in thinking that seeds,seedlings and sets should be planted much closer together in raised beds than in standard vegetable plots......if this is correct...how much closer is best?
Also does anyone have a recommendation for a book specifically on raised bed gardening?

Many thanks Feef

agapanthus

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 23:38 »
I never used a guide persay...just worked out how big the veggie should eventually be...give it a smidge more room and there you go!! ;)

plot36

beds
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 23:47 »
Hi

I have been growing in beds for 18mths now and i just follow the planting info the packet says i dont change it just because they are going into beds.

I have done my potatoes in beds and with them i can not set them the same apart as a none bed user but they work fine. Most veg will grow no mater what.

Good luck and have fun thats what it is al about sow and enjoy.

vegmandan

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 23:49 »
It's not necessary to plant things any closer in a raised bed than is suggested on the seed packet.

The main thing is that if you have small beds that you can access without having to walk on the soil then you can plant closer together since you'll not need the extra room between rows to walk.

People with big allotments might sow lettuce 2 feet between the rows which will give them ample room to walk between the rows even though they only need to be 1 foot apart.

But don't sow or plant any closer than is recommended.

Basically just get any good veg growing book and follow their guidelines.

The vegetable and Herb expert is a good one. :D

noshed

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 23:58 »
Just average out what it says on the seed packet about distance between seeds and rows, then sow them equidistant. Or guess, which is my preferred method.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Feef

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 00:05 »
Thank you for that, what a joy to get such fast answers...great to know that i can get going first thing tomorrow with my seed packets and sets at the ready, also pleased to hear that I can use one of the raised beds for growing potatoes..I was a little worried about that!

Feef

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 12:50 »
Feef

The theory says plant out at equal spacing, same distance betwwen plants in row as between rows  So working from ther the planting distance is always the row distsnce on the packet.  Now some people claim you can plant a lot close where it should be 18" plant at 12" roughly cut all your spacin by a third.

I've tried both in the past and come to the conclusion that planting at the correct spacing as given on the packet is best the plants have room to develop and give good crops . Another point always said about raised beds don't walk on 'em fair enought till you plant brassica especially Sprouts which just don't develop right they tend to blow instead of forming buttons.

As I say this is only my opinion but it works for me
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

paintedlady

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 13:06 »
I agree with Celtic Eagle - when I first starting growing veg, I tried to squeeze them in a bit tighter than it said on the packet.  Total disaster.  These days I might go in the opposite direction and add a little extra to the recommendation :lol:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Feef

Spacing in raised beds
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 17:38 »
Thank you great advice...makes sense which is , I guess, what gardening is about after all is said and done!

...Celtic Eagle ...can you clarify re Brassicas.....did you give up on them or did you firm the soil before and after planting to compensate?

Thanks Feef

Bear

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 13:42 »
Here's another view:

Look up 'Square foot gardening' on Google or some such.

That's a method that suggests you can get a lot more produce from an area.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 15:48 »
No way I gave up! Like 'em too much planted in firmed soil walk over the bed that does it

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 18:07 »
Yep I have fallen fowl of blown sprouts coz of loose soil in raised beds, also my spring cabbage have gone to seed which I think is another sympton of this problem.
One other thing worth thinking about, if the spuds are in a raised bed, think where you are gonna rake the soil up from later on, I've tried to create a deep valley with ridges each side of the bed this year.
Cheers,

Wayne.

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 09:09 »
Quote from: "kentishlad"
Yep I have fallen fowl of blown sprouts coz of loose soil in raised beds, also my spring cabbage have gone to seed which I think is another sympton of this problem.
One other thing worth thinking about, if the spuds are in a raised bed, think where you are gonna rake the soil up from later on, I've tried to create a deep valley with ridges each side of the bed this year.

I second this, I gave up on sprouts and potatoes this year. I only have the deep beds ans grow in homemade compost, not really suitable for either of these two crops. Potatoes like the heavier soil, my compost is too friable and loose the sprouts like to have a firm footing.

Cheers

:)
Best Regards,

spud

Feef

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 11:51 »
Thanks for that ...I will go tramp the beds down and also check out the square foot information.....and give thought to the potatoes

The cauliflower plants are not looking too happy and I swear I already have slugs chasing the cabbages!
Thanks Feef

No1Joker

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 13:32 »
Hi there, a newbie here.

Thought i could add to this rather than start a whole new thread.

You've sorted spacing, but how deep should the bed be? I am making one to sit on a patio and wondered if 12-18 inches was enough or not?

I also have brussels ready to plant, but reading this they aren't going to like it in this bed are they, any other sprout ideas for a soil-less garden?

Thanks, Tony

xx
Raised beds, planting advice

Started by twee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 14:56
by compostqueen
xx
Fruit planting distances please

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 16:22
by Dominic
xx
French Beans - Planting distances

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 23:25
by John
xx
Asparagus distances and flower-planting

Started by VioletSky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 14:31
by JayG

Page created in 0.559 seconds with 35 queries.