Newbie and her raised beds

• 8 Replies

amandaandherveg

• Experienced Member
« on: April 06, 2008, 17:41 »
Hello everyone

Just finished renovating an old house, took a year including sorting out the large garden.  I've built 7 raised beds (1.2m x 1.2m) at the bottom of the garden to grow assorted veg.  I'm going to order some top soil this week.  Can you folks advise what I need to mix it with (free chicken poo from the neighbour if that was any good?).
Are we nearly there yet?

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 22:10 »
chicken poo is fab but it is too strong to use fresh and has to be aged. You could pile it up or add it to the compost heap  :D

I like to add home made compost and grit sand to my heavy allotmnent soil which I don't dig so it needs a bit of help, oh manure too.  I rot leaves down to make leaf mould and that's good to add to raised bed soil

amandaandherveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 22:17 »
I don't have a compost heap organised yet  :shock:  so I'll have to source something in the meantime.  Any suggestions?  Lots of stables around here, how much would I need to add to my raised beds to use them this year without burning the veg?

jack russell

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 22:29 »
hi there you can check your local council to see if they have a composting scheme going on,  and if they don't tell them to get there finger out and get with the programme :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 23:35 »
Quote from: "amandaandherveg"
I don't have a compost heap organised yet  :shock:  so I'll have to source something in the meantime.  Any suggestions?  Lots of stables around here, how much would I need to add to my raised beds to use them this year without burning the veg?

Same problem as with chicken poo, needs to rot for a while, unless you're lucky and can get it already well rotted. I know a place but it's half an hour's drive away  :shock:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

vegmandan

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 00:16 »
If the Topsoil you are getting is decent stuff then you should be OK this year..just add a bit of fertilizer of your choice and then in autumn add some horse muck,compost or cow muck and dig it in and let the worms do the work. :D

amandaandherveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 14:08 »
That's excellent, hoped someone was going to tell me that.  Will get a compost bin/heap on the go asap.

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 14:53 »
get a cople of tone of compost from your locel olthoroty its cheper than bags and perfict for rased beds

ssray

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 16:41 »
locel olthoroty ????
Whats one of them then?
ray

xx
Advice on raised beds for a newbie

Started by Smudgeboy on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 17:09
by yummy
xx
Newbie: advice on raised beds

Started by mike scott on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 22:06
by Ice
xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
New raised beds

Started by Brian Green fingers on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 14:54
by Brian Green fingers

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 38 queries.