Tomato Recommendation

• 8 Replies

argonaut

Tomato Recommendation
« on: March 23, 2023, 17:57 »
I have grown Shirley & Gardeners Delight over many years, and usually SungGold

O'm looking for a cordon variety tomato (standard size not cherry) with a great flavour...
While Shirley always performs well, huge crops - it is not a really a great flavour

Anybody got any suggestions ?
There are those that always like to find fault, if you spot a Typo ... consider put there for you.

AndyRVTR

Re: Tomato Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 21:19 »
Tigerella for me!

missmoneypenny

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 08:19 »
Assuming you are in Wales. Do you have a greenhouse? If I were you I’d try Marmande or Costolutto Genovese/ Costolutto Fiorentino, although they are beefsteak style, not standard. I’m looking for a tasty standard tomato since they discontinued Ferline. Experimenting with Estate and Stupice this year.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 08:21 by missmoneypenny »

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 11:12 »
My favourite beefsteak is cherokee purple. Not the most prolific though. Greenhouse only

argonaut

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 11:54 »
Assuming you are in Wales. Do you have a greenhouse? If I were you I’d try Marmande or Costolutto Genovese/ Costolutto Fiorentino, although they are beefsteak style, not standard. I’m looking for a tasty standard tomato since they discontinued Ferline. Experimenting with Estate and Stupice this year.

Yes unheated 12' greenhouse.
I also grow in Quadgrows so works well.

I have grown Marmand but found not that much taste to them.
I have the 2005 strain of Gardeners Delight for cherry toms.

So far will have my 'base' plants of Shirley F1
Have purchased seeds for Honeymoon & Black Opal

Just looking for any other 'high flavour' standard size toms.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 17:45 »
Tigerella for me!

I like Tigrella too and is probably my recommendation as it's standard size and taste you are after.

Might also be worth seeing if you could get away with watering the Shirleys a bit less this year to see if that helps the flavour profile. Easier said than done I know but over watering can dilute the flavour. I've been amazed how little water I can get away with in my PT.

argonaut

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 18:52 »

I like Tigrella too and is probably my recommendation as it's standard size and taste you are after.

Might also be worth seeing if you could get away with watering the Shirleys a bit less this year to see if that helps the flavour profile. Easier said than done I know but over watering can dilute the flavour. I've been amazed how little water I can get away with in my PT.

Watering is set by Quadgrows so can't water less.    I see if I can get some Tigerlla seeds

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 06:13 »
Over-watering toms is an interesting point...

Our very best Shirley last year, by a country-mile, were the half a dozen plants I literally chucked into a spare area of soil, all scrunched up next to the runner beans, and they just romped away!

I always grow Shirley in the GH, and also in various locations around the house, all in pots and trays, and they are the staple tom here! We try and remember to pick them before we water/feed them!

I was going to try and do just one plant per 10" pot this year, but have bought far too many seeds, (first lot took ages to germinate, and I thought I'd lost them, then they all came through a couple of seconds after I'd rushed out and bought some more seed, which are now well on their way...), so I'll do what I normally do, plant two per pot and increase the yield everywhere!

I'm also trying a new one for me, Orkado, but only have seven plants at the moment! The rest of them are Roma from a free packet I was given last year on the instructions that a chum could have the plants, as she can never seem to get them away..:0~

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 03:52 »
Costoluto Florentino are a great flavored beefsteak as good as any tomato except for cherries i d grow them outside though and I think this gives a better flavor overall

xx
Tomato recommendation

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 20:41
by Lee1978
xx
tomato recommendation...

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 14:43
by arugula
xx
Blueberry Recommendation

Started by gazza975526570 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 19:40
by Pompey Spud
xx
Squash recommendation

Started by Debz on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 21, 2013, 08:52
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 46 queries.