Anti cabbage white: horticultural mesh or netting?

• 9 Replies

missmoneypenny

Anti cabbage white: horticultural mesh or netting?
« on: March 18, 2023, 09:52 »
Not sure which to get, the tougher mesh  https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/insect-mesh-carrot-plant-protection-netting-15m-wide-various-sizes/GSK1813TM
Or the netting https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/veggiemesh-insect-mesh-netting-for-vegetables/VM18TM
It would be mostly for my brassicas, to keep cabbage white egg laying butterflies off. I’m just wondering whether the finer netting stuff would be ripped by pigeons? On the other hand would the tougher mesh exclude too much light? Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 09:53 by missmoneypenny »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Anti cabbage white: horticultural mesh or netting?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 10:04 »
I bought this stuff a few years ago and it has lasted really well.  It keeps butterflies off and seems to let plenty of light through.  I have hoops I lay it over.

https://www.gardening-naturally.com/soft-butterfly-netting
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 10:04 by New shoot »

missmoneypenny

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 10:16 »
Thanks new shoot. I think that would work with hoops, other wise if the netting is close to the veg the butterfly will get its abdomen in and still lay the eggs. I don’t have the hoops! I use sticks with upside down Actimel pots and sling the net over that. Maybe I should buy some hoops.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 10:17 by missmoneypenny »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 11:42 »
I have got some hoops from the same place which have also lasted well, but sticks and actimel pots would work  :)

My plot has regular visits from foxes and when the cubs are around, they like to play trampolines on any net tunnels.  The hoops seem to withstand this a bit better  :lol:

missmoneypenny

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 18:10 »
Tell me about foxes 😡. They chewed through my leather shoes while my back was turned and I had my wellies on. It’s true, they love a trampoline session over netted veg.

Harry998

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 19:04 »
I use the veggiemesh ultra fine for pretty much everything now. It's much tougher than fleece, keeps the frost off and even the cabbage white don't seem to be able to lay through it so you don't need much of a frame.

I've had brassicas out since mid Feb and the net won't come off until harvest time... Much less agro than swapping about

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 09:21 »
My plot has regular visits from foxes and when the cubs are around, they like to play trampolines on any net tunnels.  The hoops seem to withstand this a bit better  :lol:

A few years ago the trampolining fox cubs partially flattened my enviromesh cage which was supported by canes - hoops would have fared better, but wouldn't have prevented the further damage to the mesh itself caused by their claws.  :nowink:

Although I've spotted cubs most years the amount of hole-digging and trampolining does seem to vary from year to year - I just have to cross my fingers and hope to avoid the worst as there's no way to keep such athletic and enterprising animals out of my garden.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

wolveryeti

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 11:33 »
Scaffolding debris netting has always served me well for brassicas - v. little cabbage white damage and is cheaper.

On this finer grade stuff, Wilko do something called defender mesh which is good and a bit cheaper...

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 12:11 »
I use debris netting. You can get it by the roll on Ebay. Just make sure you get the UV stabilised stuff otherwise it disintegrates in the sun and makes a proper mess (yeah, did that), otherwise the stabilised stuff lasts for years.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 18:03 »
Thanks for the useful tips everyone, hopefully other visitors to this thread will find them handy. I’ve gone and spent silly money on both the netting and the mesh at T&M.

xx
Anti butterfly netting

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 21:05
by sunshineband
xx
NETTING AND MESH

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 00:55
by peterjf
xx
cauliflower and white netting

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 07:33
by alan/gill
xx
Cabbage white

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 25, 2016, 15:50
by BumbleJo

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 50 queries.