Winter hardy PSB

• 7 Replies

Grubbypaws

Winter hardy PSB
« on: March 08, 2023, 10:40 »
I am growing Broccoli Purple Sprouting Claret and it has not fared well over the winter. It may still produce but after every cold spell it looks dreadful. Is there a variety that has been bred for winter hardiness which will fare better in the harsh temperatures that we seem to get now? We have regularly had temps of -5C this winter and it got down to -12C. When I bought my Kale seeds some were advertised as winter hardy but I cant seem to find the same for PSB.

Browseruk

Re: Winter hardy PSB
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 13:38 »
Is there a variety that has been bred for winter hardiness which will fare better in the harsh temperatures that we seem to get now?

According to ChatGPT: "Yes, there are several varieties of purple sprouting broccoli that are winter hardy and can withstand cold temperatures. Here are a few examples:

Rudolph - This variety of purple sprouting broccoli is known for its hardiness and can be harvested from late January to early April.

Red Spear - This is another winter-hardy variety that can tolerate cold temperatures and produces medium-sized purple spears.

Early Purple Sprouting - This variety is known for its early season production, typically from February to April, and can handle cold weather.

Claret - This variety produces deep purple spears and can withstand frost, making it a good choice for winter gardening.

Cardinal - This variety is known for its cold tolerance and is a popular choice for winter gardening in the UK.

It is important to note that while these varieties are winter-hardy, they still require adequate protection and care during cold spells to ensure their survival."

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 14:34 »
Thank you for this. Unfortunately the variety I am growing is Claret and I think that it would disagree about withstanding frosts! 

Browseruk

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 15:18 »
Unfortunately the variety I am growing is Claret and I think that it would disagree about withstanding frosts!

Sorry if it is bad info.

I just installed ChatGPT and have been feeding it questions as I think of them; saw your's, typed it in and that's what it threw out. Thought I'd share.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 15:46 »
Nice to have the information and know that I wasnt being silly buying Claret! I think maybe 'winter hardly' may need to be revised if the temperatures of this year become more frequent.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 10:56 »
I am growing Broccoli Purple Sprouting Claret and it has not fared well over the winter. It may still produce but after every cold spell it looks dreadful. Is there a variety that has been bred for winter hardiness which will fare better in the harsh temperatures that we seem to get now? We have regularly had temps of -5C this winter and it got down to -12C. When I bought my Kale seeds some were advertised as winter hardy but I cant seem to find the same for PSB.
I grow early purple sprouting
 https://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Vegetable-Seeds-1/Broccoli-Calabrese-Seed_2/Broccoli-Purple-Sprouting-Early-Seeds.html
It's as tough as old boots. It starts cropping about the end of Jan. Will be having some for dinner tonight! Not sure what temperature it got down to the last couple of nights but minus double figures was forecast. The soil is like iron & there's an inch of ice on the water trough. Very windy here too & there's salt in the wind. I planted a row of them last summer. No pampering at all, just stuck them in the ground & walked away!  A couple have died now but they are the ones that made flower spikes too early & we already had a crop from them before Christmas.

If you want something that crops a bit later (end of March & then through April) try Sutherland Kale. If you don't take too much to eat as leaves it makes lovely tasty spears & comes through any winter.
https://www.realseeds.co.uk/kale.html

(Edited to add links)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 11:10 by coldandwindy »

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 11:37 »
I also grew claret, about 14 plants and every one died. Unfortunately the temperatures we had in early December were as bad as they have been for 12 years and not just that it was sustained for almost a week. For a full 6 days the temperature in my greenhouse didn't get above -3c and went down to -9c. My garden hit -12c.  So while it should be able to survive say -10c and sometimes lower, it is the combination of that and the sustained cold, plus then we were in the lowest light levels of the year which can't help any.  My leeks also suffered and even some swedes rotted.  So just a bad year. A complete difference to last year where even my autumn mustards survived till spring

Claret is still the best late PSB, I had good results with rudolph for an early one in years past

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 10:59 »
Another vote for early purple sprouting, although I find it crops a bit later than January here.
It is not an F1 variety so you can save seed.
I would be wary of a ChatGPT recommendation of what to grow. It will be basing its suggestions on the blurb from seed supplier websites that have been fed into it, not from anyone who has actually grown it.

xx
winter kill temperatures of winter-hardy vegetables

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2022, 11:40
by cc
xx
Winter hardy Brassicas

Started by realfood on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 10:48
by Yabba
question
Hardy lettuce

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 18:39
by Elcie
xx
Hardy Kiwi Fruit

Started by ThePragmatist on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 15, 2013, 14:14
by Kimberley04

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 44 queries.