Saving runner bean seeds

• 9 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Saving runner bean seeds
« on: October 03, 2022, 16:30 »
Good afternoon everyone,
well apart from one tomato, one cucumber and a dozen chili plants (turning red from black), the greenhouse is empty.

Our 1 huge runner bean plant (Painted Lady) has some pods where there is only one seed inside.  If I store these seeds will this single seed pod characteristic prevail or will we have 'normal' pods next year?

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Hampshire Hog

Re: Saving runner bean seeds
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 11:07 »

I have had runner bean pods which have had varying numbers of seeds in them but not worried too much about it. I normally use fresh seeds rather than saving my own.
Hopefully your saved seeds will be ok.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 20:34 by Hampshire Hog »
Keep digging

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 11:51 »
The number of beans inside the pods, relies on successful pollination....so, in theory that should have no bearing on the future performance of the plants grown from them. Painted Lady is a very old variety and usually reliable, given enough pollinators.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 12:32 »
I've been saving White Lady runner bean seeds for years (white flowered), and although no-one else grows runner beans in the immediate vicinity as far as I can tell, last year I had one plant with red flowers, and this year 2.  :ohmy:

Runner beans have to be pollinated by insects, which leaves them much more prone to cross-pollination than, for example, French beans.

Your pods were probably just only partially pollinated Klefti - it happens sometimes, especially towards the end of the season when the plants are getting a bit knackered anyway.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 18:23 »
Good afternoon everyone,
well apart from one tomato, one cucumber and a dozen chili plants (turning red from black), the greenhouse is empty.

Our 1 huge runner bean plant (Painted Lady) has some pods where there is only one seed inside.  If I store these seeds will this single seed pod characteristic prevail or will we have 'normal' pods next year?

Cheers,  Tony.

The single-seeded pods are likely due to a couple of factors. 

(1) Partial pollination, as JayG mentioned, and

(2) drop in soil fertility or plant vigor toward the end of the growing season. Although we are always told that beans "fix their own nitrogen" which is true, they also use the N-P-K and other nutrients that we supply to them.  This year, I paid a lot more attention to providing fertilizer to my French beans (pole variety, Kentucky Wonder).  The bean pods are longer (7 to 10 inches), there are more of them, and for the pods that develop immature beans before I pick them, there are more beans per pod.  Those beans have protein, and because protein has a significant nitrogen content, the plant needs to have nitrogen readily available in the soil to produce well.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 13:26 »
Follow on question from JayG's comment. 

How can a bean get partial pollination whn there is only one flower, it's either pollinated or not aint it?  I did collect pollen from the sweetcorn flowers and rubbed it into the silks manually and was rewarded with corn cobs ripening right up to the point. (I marked the ones 'massaged' with tape.

Cheers,  Tony.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 14:46 »
How can a bean get partial pollination whn there is only one flower, it's either pollinated or not aint it? 

It was basically an assumption on my part which may not be correct Klefti (can't find a definitive answer on the web.)

Since both you, me and no doubt many others have had short bean pods with only 1 or 2 seeds in, because it usually starts happening late in the season it could be that the plants are just too weak to completely fill all their pods, although I must admit I've found similar short beans much earlier in the season too...

Not been much help have I?  :lol:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 14:54 »
Depending on the type of flowering plant, you can have one or multiple ovules in the plant's ovary.  Beans have multiple ovules, but for each ovule to form a seed, each ovule must be pollinated (fertilized) by a separate pollen grain.

A bean has multiple ovules, but if only one pollen grain finds it's way to an ovule, you will get one bean only.  Incomplete pollination may mean that only one pollen grain + one ovule completed the job.

The plant condition / nutrition will also affect development (or not) of seeds in the seed pod.  It is possible for a seed to start forming, but not fully develop, if conditions are not right.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 15:15 »

How can a bean get partial pollination when there is only one flower, it's either pollinated or not aint it?
1 flower doesn't equal 1 seed, though, does it?
Think of a single pea flower and number of peas in the pod.... sometimes just one gets fat sometimes the whole pod is full. Depends on whether all stamens inside the flower get fertilised..

Weather also plays a part
Water and heat stress can also play havoc on bean production. Hot days and hot nights dry the plant out and reduce the seed numbers or result in underdeveloped seeds (flat pods). This is more prevalent in large-seeded pole lima beans.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/beans/lima-pods-are-empty.htm

Much the same reasoning as Sp, but thought I'd post it anyway  ::)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 15:17 by mumofstig »

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 18:37 »
Our main crop runners shot to the top of the canes overnight, then got fat, ugly and inedible!

I started some later ones and we got a few feeds off them, but the pods on the first lot are just enormous, so we'll leave them to dry on the vine, and keep them for next year!

As some of them are 'Tenderstar', I'm not sure what will happen, but as chums here know, if I don't produce a crop of runners each year for Mrs Growster, I'm in the doghouse for months...:0~

xx
Saving Runner bean seeds

Started by greetwellboy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2023, 10:09
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Saving runner bean seed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 17, 2012, 00:47
by Paul Plots
xx
Saving bean seeds

Started by synchris on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 05:49
by DD.
xx
Saving bean seeds

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 13:02
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 47 queries.