Onion Sets after Sweetcorn

• 5 Replies

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
Onion Sets after Sweetcorn
« on: September 25, 2022, 09:52 »
My sweetcorn has finished and I lifted the plants yesterday, chopped them up and they are on the compost heap now, my onion sets have arrived and I'm going to plant them where the sweetcorn was but I'm unsure whether to dig in some fresh compost and wait or will the onions be ok just to put straight in, if I wait then it will be a week before I can get the sets in and I'm worried about keeping them this long without planting them. any advice welcome
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

Hampshire Hog

Re: Onion Sets after Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 11:43 »
If you see how long sets are kept in garden centres I can’t see a week will bother them. Key I would say is to keep them somewhere that isn’t too hot.
Certainly no harm to refresh the compost but at a push I would plant them but add fertiliser at the same time. A lot will depend on how healthy your soil is after the sweetcorn. See what others think ?
Keep digging

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 15:17 »
Good luck with your onion sets Kalisdad. 
Don't just press them into the ground which compresses the soil beneath, dig a small hole and cover then protect from the birds who love to pull the sets out again!    :mad:

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 15:37 »
Thank you so much for the replies. The soil certainly looks healthy with the amount of weeds growing between the corn (I hoe 2 times a week) would some FBB (certified organic, how they managed that) be ok to put in before the sets?

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 13:19 »
Your FBB sounds ok to me.
I generally use chicken manure pellets and growmore depending on what I have to hand. Looking back to previous discussions FBB is discussed on this website as being an organic version of growmore so that sounds useful. Cheers HH

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 18:47 »
Onion sets are all planted out after a good sprinkling of organic FBB, brown onions are spaced further apart for bigger onions, white and red are spaced closer for more but smaller onions, just hope they dont rot with all the rain we are having at the moment, heres looking at 2023  :D

xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
Onion Sets

Started by TheRowebot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 11, 2024, 16:28
by rowlandwells
xx
Onion Sets

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2012, 10:18
by The Golden Heap
xx
onion sets

Started by paul2004 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 15:21
by Dan

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 42 queries.