Drying Broad beans

• 5 Replies

cc

• Experienced Member
Drying Broad beans
« on: September 21, 2022, 11:28 »
Freezer getting rather full.
Anyone tried drying them?
Should I remove the outer skin first. IE poor boiling water over them leave for a minute squeeze of the skins and then dry?
Thank you for your very valuable time!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Drying Broad beans
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 17:10 »
I’ve dried Wizard field beans before with the skins on and just followed the seed saving advice on here :

https://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html

Sorry but I don’t know about peeling them first.  I know one of my plot neighbours tried drying cooked borlotti in a dehydrator and they all burst open and became a bean crumble.  Fine to cook with, but not quite what she wanted.

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 16:04 »
I’ve dried Wizard field beans before with the skins on and just followed the seed saving advice on here :

https://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html

Sorry but I don’t know about peeling them first.  I know one of my plot neighbours tried drying cooked borlotti in a dehydrator and they all burst open and became a bean crumble.  Fine to cook with, but not quite what she wanted.
I am talking about for eating them (as in storage) not for seeds? Are you talking about eating or saving for seeds?
Thanks

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 16:42 »
I mean for eating.  I save seeds for sowing that way, but used the same advice to get a crop to store to eat one year. 

Just a thought but have you tried googling drying fava beans?  They are widely grown for eating as dried beans elsewhere in the world, but everyone else calls them fava rather than broad beans.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 08:20 »
I would just save them as for seeds above and deal with the skins when you come to cook them. I imagine they will need a fair amount of soaking/cooking but Ive never cooked with dried broad beans before.

For next year if you are interested in dried beans, the runner bean czar makes for a great dried white bean and being a runner it grows great in the uk

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 20:47 »
I would just save them as for seeds above and deal with the skins when you come to cook them. I imagine they will need a fair amount of soaking/cooking but Ive never cooked with dried broad beans before.

For next year if you are interested in dried beans, the runner bean czar makes for a great dried white bean and being a runner it grows great in the uk
Noted thanks.

xx
Broad beans shrivelling and drying out - cause?

Started by VegPlotter on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 11:14
by 4th season allot
xx
Drying beans vs fresh beans

Started by cornishgirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 21:49
by gypsy
xx
Beans for drying

Started by johnjsdb on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 30, 2019, 17:47
by AnneB
xx
drying french beans - am i doing it right?

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2010, 20:53
by Lee1978

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 36 queries.