seed potatoes

• 14 Replies

rowlandwells

seed potatoes
« on: January 11, 2022, 17:54 »
looking round Wilko today I noticed the seed potatoes are going down  I was tempted to buy but I've already ordered ours but as I said I was very tempted until a voice in my ears said NO take your hands of that bag of potatoes and walk away OK :(  could people be buying there seed encase of another lock down?

Christine

Re: seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 18:56 »
Who knows. To me it's a touch early for buying seed potatoes but then I'm in the frozen north where March is early.  :lol:

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 21:25 »
Can I ask how much they were , I've just bought mine from my local garden centre.

I bought last seasons potatoes just before Christmas , wary of supply issues.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 23:04 »
I bought mine today from local GC and bloke in front of me had 10 x 2kg bags of Maris Bard in his trolley .
Panic buying ?  :D  Or  buying for all his mates ? .

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 10:17 »
I think I'll be trying Red Duke of York from our favourite garden centre and trimmimg down to just a couple of eyes this year.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

grinling

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 13:39 »
local fearmer sell 25kg for £5 so don't bother here. Just finishing up them now.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 15:18 »
I believe wilco where selling there seed potatoes for £2.50 per bag? Tenhens  I know the  potatoes we ordered will be over £50 quid delivery Feb

maybe folks are thinking there could be another lock down or G/C will get short if people panic buy seed potatoes so there getting in early who knows?

and with the immanent closure of some Wilko stores  people who have religiously bought there seed potatoes from there are obviously going to have to find other places to buy there seed potatoes possibly at a higher price?

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 23:08 »
Anybody trying Acoustic second early ?
If so where did you find it ?    I know it’s advertised on line but stock seems thin on the ground  :)

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 08:49 »
just had 20kg of clara from JBA  28pounds inc delivery [between 5] works out about 60 seed pots each
never tried these before looking forward to results.
from bow like to grow

Tenhens

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 12:53 »
I believe wilco where selling there seed potatoes for £2.50 per bag? Tenhens  I know the  potatoes we ordered will be over £50 quid delivery Feb

maybe folks are thinking there could be another lock down or G/C will get short if people panic buy seed potatoes so there getting in early who knows?

and with the immanent closure of some Wilko stores  people who have religiously bought there seed potatoes from there are obviously going to have to find other places to buy there seed potatoes possibly at a higher price?

A couple of days after my earlier post I was in town and popped into Wilko , not many left Desiree all gone, unfortunately I paid rather more than £2.50 at GC   :( :(.

Read a report about the rising prices in the shops and potatoes was one commodity highlighted,

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 17:19 »
just had 20kg of clara from JBA  28pounds inc delivery [between 5] works out about 60 seed pots each
never tried these before looking forward to results.

We’ve grown Cara many times.  They are a delicious variety but are quite late maturing, so can get damaged by slugs.

Tenhens

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 11:26 »
Have just picked up a variety called Carlingford , which  I had not heard of but appears to be a good all round spud.

I may be on the verge of becoming a potatoholic which could be a side shoot of a seedaholic  :ohmy: :ohmy: I find myself drawn to the displays and thinking  " should I give these seeds a home , or do I have enough " .
I must resist , I must resist I tell my self . 

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 15:23 »
I'm thinking about setting up seedaholics  anonymous  :D  I've just had another delivery of seeds including my seed potatoes flower and veg seed I said to the wife a white van has just pulled up outside the gates the wife said I hope that's not anymore seeds  :mad:

I think its the last seed order Dear  :unsure: her reply will be censored but it was on the lines you naughty man you shouldn't be buying anymore seeds  :D :D

so I've decided or the wife has decided to burn all the seed catalogues  :( so I must be strong no more seeds no more seeds

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2022, 07:02 »
I suspect Wilkos will top up their seed potatoes when they get a new delivery. It's probably the keen people like us who do the initial purchase.

Having said that my Ambos have arrived after an initial panic that my usual supplier wasn't stocking them this year.

I'm off to a potato day today for the first time. Googled it earlier in the week and discovered it was today! Hopefully they will still have Charlottes by the time I arrive for my slot (but if not all easy to get hold of elsewhere but really I only need 6-8 tubers). They have 30 varieties on offer so I'll also try a couple of Pink Kerrs, a couple of first earlies and see what else I'm tempted by. At £1 for 6 tubers it's a good opportunity to try and couple of new varieties on a small scale.

In reality 2kg of seed potato is ample for our needs.

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022, 22:44 »
Our local GC used to do a potato day , actually called it a potato festival , over a weekend. They had special offers and the chance to try new and rare varieties that they only had small quantities of.
All that has changed now, a national GC chain now own it and you can guess the rest !  :)

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Seed Potatoes

Started by AlotArds on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 13, 2014, 10:57
by NewSteve
xx
seed potatoes

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 24, 2013, 20:36
by DD.
xx
Seed potatoes

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 13, 2008, 20:02
by waddecar

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 51 queries.