celeriac

• 5 Replies

rowlandwells

celeriac
« on: January 08, 2022, 09:53 »
can't remember if I asked this question before so I'm going to ask it again how do you get celeriac to grow because ours have turned out like golf balls instead of footballs  :(

there's got to be someone out there that grows proper celeriac any growing tips that i can put in my garden diary to hopefully get a decent crop this year am I optimistic or what :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: celeriac
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 10:00 »
Same here, RW no matter how much manure I give them, they're still golf balls and not worth peeling  :(

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 10:19 »
Only success I've had is with Ilona, a F1 variety. Haven't been able to source them for a few years but DTB have them back in stock

Start them early (Jan is a good time) and lots and lots of water.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 10:20 by Mr Dog »

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 10:30 »
Start very early & do everything possible to avoid disturbance and checks in growth ( so sow January in cell trays, repot often, water often).  Even so mine are hit & miss. I suspect I don't get them as evenly moist as they like some years because I've the added disadvantage that they only grow under cover at this latitude. Very interested to see other people's tips and favourite varieties.
Windy. :D

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 12:01 »
I can never get mine bigger than bowls balls ( 12-15cm dia.) . However that’s big enough for me and the flavour is great.
As has been said , start early , grow without checks and mulch well when planted out.
Constant moisture is the key l think , always water regularly , twice a week or more in dry weather.
Another tip is to remove the green shoots from the shoulders , leaving just the central top of green .
This puts more energy into swelling the body rather than lots of leaf.
I always grow the variety Brilliant , constantly good results , as long as l remember to water !  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 12:35 »
I'll probably regret saying this, but the last couple of years mine have been OK, and there are still some in the ground now

Sowed Mid February, potted on into trays when they had two true leaves, then on into  5cm modules when the plants were growing strongly

Prepped the soil with plenty of allotment compost, plus BFB, then added chicken manure pellets in each hole when planting out, which was around early April. Grew them in a grid  30 cm apart, and cloched them until frosts were over, just t make sure they kept growing

Watered weekly even if it had been raining, with a good soak, and fed with BFB once a month, scratched ino the top of the soil

Mulched with home compost about 5cm deep late Summer

Took off any leaves that started to brown/look old, tearing them off

Carried on with the watering right up until beginning of November, including the odd bit of comfrey feed as they were next to the Tomatoes

The variety was Monarch, came free with a mag last year, so nothing special. The biggest was 18cm in diameter, average more like 12-14ccm, with a couple of tiddlers

Hope that helps  :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
celeriac

Started by doubledug on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 11:02
by Mrs Bee
xx
Celeriac

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 21:01
by strangerachael
xx
Celeriac

Started by iggyboy60 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 19:21
by barbarella
xx
Celeriac RIP

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 18:13
by Lincolnshire Floyd

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 42 queries.