Melons

• 2 Replies

snowdrops

Melons
« on: July 10, 2021, 11:10 »
A couple of years ago I was kindly sent some honeydew melon seeds by a forum member, not sure if I sowed any last year but I did successfully grow & harvest 2 Galia  type melons.
I’ve sown the said honeydew melons & ended up with 5 plants that I’ve planted in my poly tunnel. The problem is they look like cucumber fruits on them except they’re going from yellow to orange and with spikes on like cucumbers or gherkins.
Has anybody grown honeydew melons & can advise me if this is how they grow please,  the variety was said to be ‘Sundance’.
I have messaged the sender but they’ve not been on for a long time. If they aren’t melons I’m considering taking the plants out as I don’t need any more cucumbers or gherkins
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Melons
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 12:17 »
Although melons are in the same family as squashes and cucumbers, they are different species so can only cross-pollinate with other melons, and the seeds would still produce melons, albeit not necessarily the ones you were expecting!

Seems more likely your seeds got mixed up somehow - I've only grown melons a few times but the fruits didn't look like gherkins or cukes at any stage. Pic attached:
STA70004.JPG
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

snowdrops

Re: Melons
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 20:29 »
Thanks for your reply Jay, as I suspected. Today I showed a plot friend and as I was touching one, it fell off(obviously overripe & going over) I cut it open & it’s definitely a cucumber/gherkin, so the chickens enjoyed it & 3 of its siblings, with 3 more for tomorrow. They’re fate is sealed lol

xx
Melons

Started by Honeysuckle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 21:01
by tam
xx
What do I do with my melons now?

Started by JulesJ on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 13:32
by JulesJ
xx
Melons

Started by Arls0308 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 20:25
by flatcap
xx
melons!

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 10:02
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 40 queries.