late crops for me how are things in the UK?

• 6 Replies

jambop

late crops for me how are things in the UK?
« on: July 07, 2021, 08:56 »

Things are a bit slow in my garden this year. The tomatoes are at least two weeks behind normal and my beans have just not done well at all. There is some good news we are having a new potato feast because they have done well. The usual Charlotte have performed very well and all things being equal we should be harvesting about  80 kg from two 3m x 1.5 m beds . I reckon the humble spud is one of the nicest crops fresh from the ground... and totally amazing when fried off in duck fat... addictive even  :lol:
All this cool weather has helped some crops though the peas, leeks, beets and cabbages have done well and the onions are coming on well too . The toms will ripen but well late :(   Got some fennel growing ready to replace the spuds .

Hampshire Hog

Re: late crops for me how are things in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 09:17 »
I think everyone is having the same experience. Certainly my french beans and runners have had a pretty slow start. Courgettes starting to perk up and beetroot coming on well( apart from rabbit damage!) Weather very wet at present so I’m concerned about blight on the tomatoes. HH
Keep digging

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 09:44 »
None of my beans look happy, and many failed to germinate, or got slugged - so not a good year here, for those either. Peas are just cropping, and it looks like a good year for brassicas, if they survive the slug attack during this cool wet weather
My potatoes are going to be late, simply because they got planted late due to the weather  ::)

al78

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 11:30 »
Still waiting for early potatoes. My French beans are doing quite well considering the summer in SE England has been poor on top of a poor Spring. The Gem squash haven't been doing much since I planted them out three weeks ago. Brassicas are doing quite well, harvested calabrese last weekend, but some of them had gone over and flowered.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 11:55 »
Slug-zapping like fury here, the blues I'm afraid, as the little s*** love the other sort...

They've even got to the top of several lilies, and chomped the flowers off!

Runner beans took a hit last week too, a chum down the road lost nearly all his beans at a stroke!

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 22:56 »
Doing surprisingly well. Have dug up some Charlotte spuds as ground really wet and strawberries got a bit of a hammering but grown through plastic fro first time and little slug damage, masses of gooseberries, rasberries early, beetroot roots developed for first time blueberries started to ripen early too. Tomatoes poor and fruits small, first courgette this week, squash just starting to grow, some beans in flower and sweetcorn look ok but short. Brassicas ok so far and some peas but didnt grown many, have started more seeds for later crop as find frozen mangtout a bit disappointing. Freezer and jam jars filling up! Carrots and parsnip growing but behind. Wish I had harvested the garlic before all this rain though!!!! Onion thrips dont expect to get many\any but started some silverskin onions for pickling as another first this year. Weeds doing well

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 12:28 »
Had to do a lot of watering in June as it was much drier here than in the South of England, which probably means there was more sunshine and therefore a bit warmer too.

As a result, most crops doing quite well so far - runner beans setting first pods, just picked first courgette, sweet corn growing quite strongly, squashes could do with hurrying up a bit, broad beans very good.
Have been harvesting Pentland Javelin potatoes for about a week - first time, nice spud, although probably could do with a bit longer as several too small to eat.

All to play for - July is a critical month, especially for the likes of sweetcorn and winter squashes.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Is It Too Late To Sow Salad Crops Outside?

Started by Markjp on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 09:15
by bigben
xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.
xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
to late to plant "late" potatos?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:53
by Beanzie

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 44 queries.