"Northern" varieties?

• 13 Replies

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
"Northern" varieties?
« on: June 28, 2021, 08:20 »
So how it started was that my new neighbour, who hales from Mauritius, gave me sweet potato slips (that further research causes me to have little hope for!  :(  )
But it led me to wonder how much difference it makes if you buy "bred for cooler conditions" varieties of other things ? Are they just a money spinner for seed merchants or is there really a big difference in hardiness for any of them?

Hampshire Hog

Re: "Northern" varieties?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 09:04 »
Not sure it matters for everything but certainly garlic grown in UK does better than if you use Chinese shop bought bulbs. I also suspect some tomatoes from Italy would demand more sunshine and warmth. I think these differences probably are more relevant for crops that are frost sensitive. I can’t believe it would affect cabbages for instance. HH
Keep digging

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 09:35 »
Yes, certain crops will do less well, the further North you move, some become impossible without a greenhouse and some varieties just are hardier than others.
Tundra cabbage has a well deserved reputation for standing through very cold, snowy, weather, for example. There must be others, but being in the soft South, I don't need to search for them  :nowink:

al78

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 09:38 »
Yes, certain crops will do less well, the further North you move, some become impossible without a greenhouse and some varieties just are hardier than others.
Tundra cabbage has a well deserved reputation for standing through very cold, snowy, weather, for example. There must be others, but being in the soft South, I don't need to search for them  :nowink:

If we keep having weather like this you might need to eventually. Sixth cool cloudy and occcasionally wet summer day out of the last 11, and two more cool cloudy damp days to follow here in W Sussex.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 10:54 »
Thanks for the reply.
Its not so much snow & frost that are the problem. After all there are things you can do - fleece , cloches, greenhouse etc.. But the intensity & angle of sun and length of growing season are what defeats you.
I've tried an "outdoors chilli" that sulks in my polytunnel, & hardly flowers, for example. Keeping things alive isn't much problem but if you're looking for something that will thrive that's another matter!   
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 11:08 by coldandwindy »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 11:14 »
You are so far north c&w I don't think the rest of us would have any real insight to offer you on that one.

The only supplier I know remotely near you is this one.  It is mainly herbs, but they do a fair few veg if you look through the culinary herb list.

https://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk

I have some of their seakale and the rocambole garlic that I save year to year.  They might provide you with a few ideas for things you could try  :)

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 11:20 »
I've tried an "outdoors chilli" that sulks in my polytunnel, & hardly flowers, for example.

Have you tried a Rocoto?  They outlast tomatoes at the back end of the year being hardy down to mid single figures.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 08:31 »
You are so far north c&w I don't think the rest of us would have any real insight to offer you on that one.

The only supplier I know remotely near you is this one.  It is mainly herbs, but they do a fair few veg if you look through the culinary herb list.

https://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk

I have some of their seakale and the rocambole garlic that I save year to year.  They might provide you with a few ideas for things you could try  :)
Thank you for that. I've downloaded their catalogue & plan an extended elevenses with it later!  :)

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 08:34 »
I've tried an "outdoors chilli" that sulks in my polytunnel, & hardly flowers, for example.

Have you tried a Rocoto?  They outlast tomatoes at the back end of the year being hardy down to mid single figures.
No I haven't tried that one but it sounds worth a go. Thank you.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 08:55 »
Maybe you might need to investigate heritage types of vegetables that were grown local to your area, or maybe the growers in your area ere very limited to root crops but like mum says about thetundra cabbage, another might be January king cabbage, seems to withstand most that my climate can through at it, although I’m in the midlands, not far from me is Coalville that is reputed to be akin to Siberia in bad winters!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 09:38 »
Maybe you might need to investigate heritage types of vegetables that were grown local to your area, or maybe the growers in your area ere very limited to root crops but like mum says about thetundra cabbage, another might be January king cabbage, seems to withstand most that my climate can through at it, although I’m in the midlands, not far from me is Coalville that is reputed to be akin to Siberia in bad winters!
Thank you Snowdrops.
Don't get me started on "Landrace" crops - I can get very boring on that! ::)
We have a central core of roots & brassicas that we know will be reliable (happy to share which varieties if anyone interested - they have definitely been well tested for hardiness! My other half says that when the world ends the last remaining living thing will be a kale plant, and it will be laughing!  :tongue2:  ).
We are saving seed from the best/fastest germinators of parsnips each year and developing our own garlic that likes to grow in old fish boxes under cover! 
I'm on the lookout for other people's hardier than usual recommendations, especially fast growers for short seasons in the tunnel.

EDITED TO ADD I should stop calling them "Northern" varieties; it depends too much on where you mean north OF. For example I am able to assure you that northern extra sweet sweetcorn is very unhappy north of Moscow! :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 11:41 by coldandwindy »

JacsH

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 18:49 »
We’re in sunny SW Scotland and I’ve tried sweet potatoes twice in a poly tunnel. Frankly not worth the effort or space - poor yield and they didn’t ripen properly hence didn’t keep. Bit of fun but aubergines etc are better use of space as sweet potatoes are vigorous. Otherwise I find that the traditional varieties of veg do better generally than the modern varieties, although modern for northern areas are ok. Main thing is to look for shorter number of days to reach maturity. Give things shelter from winds!!

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 07:50 »
I tried aubergines once but they got to the size of ping-pong balls then ripened beautifully !  ::)
Any aubergines in the north tips, or varieties?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 08:16 »
The fastest aubergines I have grown are Kaberi (mini fruit on compact plant) and Czech Early (larger fruit and more sprawling plant).

Obviously I am as about as far away from you as I could be without falling into the English Channel, but they might be worth a go. 

Just a thought, but the tinfoil reflectors we all make for windowsill seedling growing in the spring.  Would that be viable for your greenhouse?  If the light intensity is weak, could you rig up a tinfoil covered cardboard panel in spring and/or autumn to help boost it.  Maybe one of those emergency tinfoil blankets suspended from wire?  Just thinking out loud but it might work  :unsure:

Forgot to add that I have a tiny chilli that originates in Hungary that I save seeds from each year.  It is a birds eye type and the plants are easily small enough to sit on a windowsill inside.  It is also very fast and had flowers and fruit on it way before anything else this year.

The fruits are fearsomely hot but you can hang the whole plant up by the roots to dry them and crumble into dishes as you need them. 1 if 2 is usually enough for me, but I am a whimp.  Happy to send some seeds if you pm me your address  :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 08:23 by New shoot »

xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
brassica's need moving(""edited"")

Started by vegikev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 13:03
by gobs
xx
Comfrey Tea - "Press" or "Steep"?

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 15:38
by noshed
xx
Onion "Radar" and "Electric"

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2017, 16:39
by freefolk

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 51 queries.