Growing early garlic

• 7 Replies

bishoa01

Growing early garlic
« on: June 16, 2021, 11:34 »
Hello All
Ian new to any type of gardening and hoping you can help me
I planted early garlic in March due to be cultivated in early June but the bulbs have not filled out
I have loads of green tops but no bulbs photos below any advice will be appreciated
image.jpg
image.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing early garlic
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 12:08 »
Hi and welcome to the forum  :)

I think the garlic just needs more time to grow.  It was a cold spring, so that will have slowed it down.  The times things take are always a bit of 'how long is a piece of string' situation.

In ideal conditions, they might take the time indicated on the pack, but too cold, too dry, too wet, too little sun - all these things can add extra weeks to that.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 17:27 »
I find that garlic does best if you plant it around October time for a harvest in the following July. Theory is that the cold snap over the winter helps it grow and eventually split. For the ones you have at present just let them grow till they start to die back. Hopefully larger than they are now. Don’t worry about this year it’s an odd one! HH
Keep digging

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 18:42 »
I find that garlic does best if you plant it around October time for a harvest in the following July. Theory is that the cold snap over the winter helps it grow and eventually split. For the ones you have at present just let them grow till they start to die back. Hopefully larger than they are now. Don’t worry about this year it’s an odd one! HH

Just to highlight that there are in fact spring planting varieties, for which this is far less important.  It sounds as though bishoa01 probably planted one of these varieties
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 20:17 »
My Spring planted ones came out the same too, the weather has just been all wrong this year for Spring sown garlic. Back to Autumn sowings for me!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 16:00 »
I usually plant my hardneck garlic in the last week of February, and it's usually ready by the middle of July.
Due mainly to the weather, I was 2 weeks late planting them this year, although it looks as if they still may be ready by the middle of July.
A clue is the production of scapes - my bulbs are usually ready about a fortnight after these have appeared (and been snipped off and eaten!)
That tip doesn't apply to softneck varieties though, almost none of which ever produce scapes.

The OP's garlic still looks very green and therefore not ready for harvesting - although garlic foliage doesn't turn brown and tend to collapse in the way that onion and shallot foliage does, by the time the foliage is looking a bit brown and generally knackered, you can safely assume the bulbs won't significantly increase in size so can be lifted, dried and stored (if you leave them too long the individual cloves could start sprouting - disaster!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jambop

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 17:45 »

I go along with that the draw back as far as I am concerned is rust. If I was growing under cover I would defo plant out in the autumn .

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 08:16 »
Hello All
Ian new to any type of gardening and hoping you can help me
I planted early garlic in March due to be cultivated in early June but the bulbs have not filled out
I have loads of green tops but no bulbs photos below any advice will be appreciated
If the tops are still green its not as big as it could get. Crop it when the tops start to yellow (& how long that is will vary each year).

xx
Too Early for garlic?

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 20:11
by Thephoenix572
xx
Too early to harvest garlic?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post June 15, 2017, 12:39
by Glosterboy
xx
Garlic in Pots... Too Early?

Started by MattieG on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2012, 12:06
by gavinjconway
clip
Early garlic harvest?

Started by Gardener and Rabbit on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 08, 2016, 19:46
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 45 queries.