Reusing empty compost bags for tomatoes

• 13 Replies

Jaybees

Reusing empty compost bags for tomatoes
« on: June 11, 2021, 22:43 »
Hi

I was wondering if I can re-use empty multi purpose compost bags for growing my extra tomato plants. Ive run out of pots and don’t want to buy new ones. Ive read on blog posts where people have turned it inside out to grow potatoes so hoping the same can be done for tomatoes as well. Been using the bags to collect weeds and then throw them. But would like to make better use of them before I can bin them.

Regards,
Jay

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Reusing empty compost bags for tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 22:50 »
Well you can buy tomato grow bags, so why not?
What are you going to fill them with?

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 07:07 »
There's an awful lot of mystery associated with growing toms, and much of it is down to bunk personal preference, Jay, so I'd do exactly what you say, chuck in any compost/soil mixture, and let 'em go!

When I look around our garden about now, there are lots of tiny tom plants in with the weeds, because I chuck the old compost stuff everywhere after the season! One year, I found a clutch of over thirty plants, where one small tom had landed after clearing the GH, I got them all to develop into healthy plants and gave them to chums!

You can see that I like your idea!

Jaybees

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 08:46 »
Thanks, I had old compost bags which I had bought and had saved them as didn’t feel right throwing them away. And as I started composting last year, so I would be using that along with the leftover store bought compost.

Regards
Jay

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 08:58 »
Don't forget to skewer a few holes in the bottom of the bags for drainage.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 07:06 »
I grow toms against the house every year in compost bags. Stood on end with the tops rolled down they make ideal sized containers.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 07:24 »
Nice one, Blewit!

There was a 'trend' for standing growbags on their sides some years ago, which I thought was a good idea if space was at a premium, on a path say!

lettice

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 12:42 »
I grow some outdoor tomatoes in old torn potato bags with the tops rolled down, they do not need to be as deep as they originally were.

Have grown all kinds of things in old compost bags including tomatoes with no issues, just make sure you have a few holes in the bottom for drainage.

Jaybees

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 21:01 »
Many thanks all for your input. I’ve made few small holes at the bottom once I turned them inside out so the black bit is on the outside. Fingers crossed now, hoping to get a good harvest.
Cheers  :)
Jay

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 07:02 »
Just as an aside, we always wondered why 'growbags' were sold with such garish colours, so used to cover them with green debris netting!

A bag, turned inside out is a great option, so gets over that little conundrum nicely!

Welsh Merf

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 09:20 »
My father used to buy a new bag of compost, cut it in half, and then stand each half upright so that they resembled two "plastic" pots. So, crack on with your plan, I'd say!  :)

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 21:38 »
Definitely go ahead it works well my brother even reuses old bags for life to grow potatoes they are easier to carry so when the potatoes are ready he moves them to any raised bed that needs a top up and empties the bag on the bed to sort his potatoes.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 23:38 »
We have those reusable cloth grocery store bags that are made from recycled plastic. They wear out eventually, I wonder if the worn ones would make good grow bags?
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2021, 07:47 »
We have old plastic fertiliser buckets, builders buckets etc., full of old compost in various (hidden) places for carrots, parsnips, rocket etc.!

What's not to like about a combination of tiny raised beds, square-foot gardening, and they're not too low down to harvest...! The veg area on the 'actual' garden is about a foot higher than the rest as we chuck all last year's compost on it every year! All sorts of things turn up - this year it's self-seeded carrots, the usual tomatoes and several marigolds...

Those plastic bags of yours are a real way to go!

xx
Reusing compost after blighted tomatoes have been grown in it.

Started by ronfred on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 17:28
by madcat
xx
reusing grow bags

Started by andtiggertoo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 20:01
by strangerachael
xx
Compost for tomatoes: Multipurpose or from grow bags?

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 10, 2016, 18:56
by Trikidiki
xx
Reusing Compost

Started by Sophie_Chilli on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 13:22
by Sophie_Chilli

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 51 queries.