What I did on the plot today 2021

• 113 Replies

Lardman

Re: What I did on the plot today 2021
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2021, 07:47 »
Thanks Lards, could you just explain the term “tip out” as I’ve not come across that before?
Sorry Snow it's probably short hand I've picked up from too many youtube videos  ::) - just pinch out the growing tips after new growth of 3-4 leaves can be seen. Normally I'd be doing mine in a week or so but I checked yesterday and it's still half a sleep let alone putting on new growth.

snowdrops

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2021, 07:59 »
Thanks Lards, could you just explain the term “tip out” as I’ve not come across that before?
Sorry Snow it's probably short hand I've picked up from too many youtube videos  ::) - just pinch out the growing tips after new growth of 3-4 leaves can be seen. Normally I'd be doing mine in a week or so but I checked yesterday and it's still half a sleep let alone putting on new growth.

Thank you, I pruned the fig seriously after Christmas, a for a better shape & b, for cuttings. I was looking at it the other day & it’s only just showing signs of budding up. It’s in a planter, that needs replacing on the patio, in full sun during the summer against the house wall & although it produces lots of figs, I only get about 2 each year to eat. I suppose I could move that to the tunnel :unsure:? But I’m not sure about having one in there until I’ve got the peach & apricot on the go.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2021, 08:25 »
I repotted seedling tomatoes, jalapenos and aubergines into larger nursery pots, to grow on for a couple weeks into sturdier plants.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 08:26 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2021, 05:16 »
On new raised beds, lined bottom with cardboard to keep down the weeds. Filled one of the beds and part of another with compost (local bargain, leaf and limb compost the city has produced, and tested, for years, only £15 a cubic yard, a mass of 1025 pounds!). I have another cubic yard waiting in my truck for the remainder of the raised beds.
IMG_20210412_200626440.jpg
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:42 by Subversive_plot »

Debz

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2021, 10:23 »
My sister got offered a half plot on the site that I'm on.  There were several to chose from but she actually chose one of the worst because it's directly opposite mine (she'd probably say the choice was mine though).  She's not got the happiest gardener so I went down yesterday to start weeding.  It wasn't touched at all last year so there's a bit of work for me to do while she works on her vision of the "finished" image.

garrarufa

• Munin's Sketch-blog
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2021, 00:15 »
I repotted seedling tomatoes, jalapenos and aubergines into larger nursery pots, to grow on for a couple weeks into sturdier plants.

I did EXACTLY the same thing today. Would have done it Sunday afternoon, but promised to babysit. My bad: I remember computer games being a lot more fun when I was young. The coffee didn't help. :(

I put in a second mini row of peas under heated soil just to feel like I got one over on my neice. I think I lost. Yep... I'm certain of it!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2021, 17:13 »
The raised beds are full of compost (some have said worse about me!  :tongue2:  :D).

I set the seedlings out in the sun to acclimate them to stronger light. I'm doing this a little longer each day, keeping them well-watered.
16184150409911309184027.jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2021, 19:37 »
More work on the tunnel for both of us, why oh why did I not remove all the sticky residue from tge hoops before it was constructed!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2021, 05:53 »
Sowed seed in 4 large containers for herbs; flat-leaf Italian parsley, sweet basil 'Genovese', Thai basil 'Siam Queen', Dill 'Mammoth'.  Blended compost for ornamentals (consisting of a bag of mushroom compost, bag of soil-less mix, small handful each of 13-13-13, pelleted dolomitic limestone, plaster of Paris; about a gallon of sandy loam mineral soil).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 05:59 by Subversive_plot »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2021, 17:34 »
Starting tomorrow, it will be cloudy with chance of rain for a few days in a row, so today is planting day in the raised beds. I set out zinnia seedlings first (priorities!  :lol:), done with that.  After that, tomatoes are next.  The tomato seedlings I put outdoors 2 weeks ago as 5 to 10 cm tall plants are now 25 to 30 cm tall. They are ready to go! Also needed to re- seed some sweet basil in a pot, as only one of the first seedings sprouted (Thai basil, planted at the same time, came up with no problem).

Updated later: added a picture; new beds are about half planted.
16199985306621607697681.jpg
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 00:38 by Subversive_plot »

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2021, 20:53 »
A quick visit to the plot before tomorrow and the rain.
Weeded my Beetroots and purple sprouting broccoli.
Fleeced my asparagus following a fellow plot holder showing me their crop.
Mine has been sulking due to the very cold weather.
Hopefully the weather will warm up soon.
Cheers HH
Keep digging

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2021, 16:36 »
I planted out 6 each of the following although there were a couple a causalities due the move from house to plot:
Green Summer broccoli
PSP summer variety
Red cabbage
grey hound cabbage
golden acre cabbage. 

In a netted tunnel - it feels warmer today- hope that continues 😀
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

snowdrops

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2021, 20:23 »
In the garden I completed my bamboo barricade to ensure himself stops mowing the plants! also to stop the plants invading the lawn  :D, shredded the pruning from the harvested bamboo & sorted through the canes for which to keep  :) Asked myself why I haven’t harvested it before  :unsure: Then after dinner on the trip to give the chickens their supper (corn) had a quick hoe around the outside beds of the tunnel & planted the last few remaining chicories, the remains of the 3 types of beetroot in modules & the remains of a tray of lettuce, the rest of these have all been planted in the tunnel & I might get my first tunnel harvest later in the week of lettuce leaves :lol:. Also filled the compost bin up with kitchen waste & the shredded  bamboo.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 20:26 by snowdrops »

Beepee

« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2021, 14:08 »
I've just removed the bubble-wrap from inside my greenhouse. Not a heated house (only in one corner anyway and seperately insulated) but I line it every year - keeps it a couple of degrees warmer that not doing it.  Anyway, it's an aluminium framed job and in the past I have used an assortment of different brand, plastic clips but never found anything succesful for the end glasing bars. This time I had used a good black plastic one for the intermediate bars but I used 50mm bulldog clips for the ends. Never has it been so easy to put up or take down.  I've even had time to thin out my beetroot.
Never thow 'it' away. It will come in handy one day, even if it is never useful!!

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2021, 15:37 »
yesterday,  at home, power washed the greenhouse before planting up tomatoes. planted out some runner beans and potted on other veg which have been slow.
today, at the allotment,  bit the bullet and planted out 30 sweetcorn, 10 dwarf beans, a courgette plant which was desperate to get out, 1Brussels sprout, a cauliflower and 2 spare tomato plants.
weeded around the carrots which are coming along nicely, also shallots looking good.  I'm not sure what happened to my garlic. ..it got off to a great start..but has disappeared   :( saw about 6 artichokes beginning to show....life feels good today, now the weather has improved :D

xx
Are you already planning your 2021 vegetable plot?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 11, 2020, 08:56
by basketcase
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 50 queries.