Tomato leaves curling.......

• 5 Replies

Chris929

Tomato leaves curling.......
« on: April 28, 2020, 14:09 »
Hi All,

Potted up my tomatoes a few weeks ago into some homemade compost and been to check on them today to find that the 'new growth' since potting on has started to curl together. Images are attached to this post. Anyone any idea of what may be the issue? Online I see that it could be herbicides but I haven't used any of these in the composted material :/
From experience, does anyone know if they may pull through?
Cheers
Chris
IMG_20200428_131532.jpg
IMG_20200428_131523.jpg
IMG_20200428_131526.jpg
IMG_20200428_131530.jpg

Growster...

Re: Tomato leaves curling.......
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 14:32 »
Hmmm...

Never seen this before, so did some own research.

It seems you have looked at and understood the probable reason, as you're using your own compost, which may be why you have this, but it doesn't appear to be fatal, and one website says they'll grow out after time, anyway.

I'm sure you'll get an answer from more experienced tom growers here, but looking at pics and articles on real nasties for these plants, it doesn't appear to be too bad.

Not a very informative reply, I'm sorry to say, but we all learn from knowing what to expect sometimes, so best wishes!

jambop

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 15:28 »
Is there any possibility that these tomato plants have become excessively hot for a period of time? Tomatoes have been know to curl to conserve moisture if they get too much heat. One other thing that can happen if you or someone nearby have been using a lawn weed and feed which contains 2,4 D I believe this can ,as they say fume . The resulting vapours can affect nearby tomato plants if the wind carries it to them. I do realise this is a remote possibility however.

pedro

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 18:07 »
Have you had any straw on your ground or in your compost?

JoshP

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 20:03 »
It looks like aminopyralid damage to me. Have you had any manure imported? What variety are the tomatoes?
My sweet million plants always have curled leaves at the top each year but grow out of it and always produce a good crop. My other varieties grown using identical compost don’t seem to get the curled leaves though.

Chris929

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 22:08 »
Thanks for the replies.
No straw has been added this year. The last brought in manure was laid over a year ago.

It is possible they've been quite hot recently in the heat wave of last week but I wouldn't have thought they'd be too hot.

These are a mixture of stupice, costo fionerentina and red pear.

Ill let you know if they grow through it. I'm hoping so! I have spares I could put in but don't want them to end up the same so maybe looking for another crop that may not react so badly to whatever it may be?

xx
tomato leaves curling up!

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 20:46
by Livinhope
xx
Tomato leaves dry and curling. What is the problem?

Started by stee1e on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2015, 12:05
by Goosegirl
xx
tomato plant leaves curling

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2013, 07:44
by mike0001
xx
Tomato plant leaves curling ?

Started by Dave Mack on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 17:01
by Snoop

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 34 queries.