Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

• 8 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees
« on: October 01, 2019, 12:57 »
I am thinking of planting some, how wide do they grow?  I am thinking of growing cookers - may Rev Wilks.

I also have a M26 family tree and a ballerina, which need pruning (both eaters).  I don't want them to get any bigger, any advice?

snow white

Re: Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 14:16 »
You are best to go online and look up videos of pruning espaliers.  It makes it easy to understand.  The only espalier to grow cookers is a variety called Bounty.  Any others are not suitable for restricted growing.  Espaliers will grow as long as you want them to.  It took me five years to grow espaliers to the size I wanted.  Pruning is easy, but watch a video and you will understand what you have to do.

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 14:19 »
You are best to go online and look up videos of pruning espaliers.  It makes it easy to understand.  The only espalier to grow cookers is a variety called Bounty.  Any others are not suitable for restricted growing.  Espaliers will grow as long as you want them to.  It took me five years to grow espaliers to the size I wanted.  Pruning is easy, but watch a video and you will understand what you have to do.

Thank you although my pruning question was about my existing family trees which are not espalliers but bushes and should not grow any more.

snow white

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 12:02 »
Oh  :lol:

Again google trimming a bush apple tree to keep small.  I find it easier to see someone doing it than have it described to me. 
Every year I look at a podcast of apple pruning to remind me what to do, then I go up and do it while it is in my head.  :wub:

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 21:18 »
Adding to this, has anyone else grown espalliers? Any advice?

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 17:03 »
I have a number of espaliered trees what sort of info do you want to know?

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 17:44 »
I have a number of espaliered trees what sort of info do you want to know?

How difficult are they to look after?  Have any varieties gone really well or badly?
Thanks in advance

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 18:08 »
I find them easier to maintain than other forms. Initial training was simple enough with most, although the gala didn't pay nicely at first. I summer prune to retain shape and stop them getting too 'hairy'.  I have trees which span 3ft up to 8ft, most around 8ft tall with 5 tiers, the less arm length the more pruning and less fruit.
Tip bearing tress are obviously out, so that's most of your early apples, but anything else will do although remember they carry less fruit than an open centre or bush. If you're planning on cookers you'll need a reasonable width to produce enough to make it worthwhile.
Blossom appears to be a bit more susceptible to late frosts and the nicely presented fruit makes easy picking for birds and squirrels. Kidds Orange Red has made a particularly attractive and productive tree, but you're best to pick something suitable to your conditions and then shape it,just don't be put off by the initial chop.

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 18:11 »
I find them easier to maintain than other forms. Initial training was simple enough with most, although the gala didn't pay nicely at first. I summer prune to retain shape and stop them getting too 'hairy'.  I have trees which span 3ft up to 8ft, most around 8ft tall with 5 tiers, the less arm length the more pruning and less fruit.
Tip bearing tress are obviously out, so that's most of your early apples, but anything else will do although remember they carry less fruit than an open centre or bush. If you're planning on cookers you'll need a reasonable width to produce enough to make it worthwhile.
Blossom appears to be a bit more susceptible to late frosts and the nicely presented fruit makes easy picking for birds and squirrels. Kidds Orange Red has made a particularly attractive and productive tree, but you're best to pick something suitable to your conditions and then shape it,just don't be put off by the initial chop.

Actually I am thinking of cooers - I already have enough eaters

xx
Apple Trees

Started by jmc1949 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 30, 2012, 19:51
by jmc1949
xx
Apple Trees

Started by Bodger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 11:59
by WG.
xx
apple trees? help!

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 10, 2009, 22:37
by pushrod
xx
Apple Trees

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 15, 2020, 10:04
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 41 queries.