powdery mildew

• 7 Replies

al78

powdery mildew
« on: September 01, 2019, 21:17 »
I grow little gem squash every year and this year, they exploded in production with the arrival of warm/hot weather in July (as they did last year), and are still throwing out fruits. In the last week or so, I have noticed some of the leaves becoming coated with powdery mildew and are starting to die back. This seems to happen about this time every year. The plants have grown rapidly over the summer sand sprawled all over the bed they were planted in, but I wouldn't say they were grossly overcrowded (I can step between the leaves and stems in places). What conditions encourage powdery mildew and is there anything I can do to delay it? I'm, considering next year training the vines up and around a frame, which would utilise the vertical dimension, raise the fruit off the ground, and maybe get better airflow through the plants, what do you think? I was hoping I might get another month out of them if we don't get any early cold snaps.

AnneB

Re: powdery mildew
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 23:14 »
It is getting towards the end of the season and in my experience it always happens regardless of what you do or how closely the plants are together.

Snowpea

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 00:50 »
What AnneB said. It happens to my zucchinis especially. In fact it happens to most of my cucurbits. Always about March which is equivalent to your September. The plants are coming to their end and are now a bit weaker so are prone to disease. Just nature doing her thing. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 19:03 »
They are more prone to mildew if the roots are dry, perhaps water them a bit more, but don't get the foliage wet.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 20:15 »
my courgettes have had powdery mildew for months and they still keep producing :lol:....

however, all my butternut and pumpkins also have it and the fruit is ripening and almost ready to be brought into storage. (earlier than I thought tbh ::)) I always think its a sign the season is coming to an end and don't worry too much about it.  I just cut off the worst offenders and keep on harvesting the veg. ;)

al78

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 20:55 »
They are more prone to mildew if the roots are dry, perhaps water them a bit more, but don't get the foliage wet.

Thanks, that's useful to know. It has been mostly dry down here in the SE (again!) and it is difficult to keep things thoroughly watered. It is supposed to rain tomorrow morning which should give them a drink.

Ethel

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 10:49 »
I've been spraying with a bicarb solution - 1l water, 3tsp bicarb, 2tsp washing up liquid and 1tsp oil. Getting to the stage now where the plants seem to be dying back, but spraying has for a few weeks kept the mildew down.
Ever tried? Ever failed? No Matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 10:28 »
I followed some advice that I saw on here and gave my courgettes a couple of balanced feeds when the leaves started to yellow not just the tomato feed. The leaves seem to have really benefited and stayed healthy longer this year resisting the mildew.

xx
Powdery mildew

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 14, 2017, 18:14
by victoria park
xx
powdery mildew

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 22:29
by fatcat1955
xx
Powdery Mildew

Started by tam on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 15:49
by goodegg
xx
Powdery mildew

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2011, 13:16
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 37 queries.