just another onion question please

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

just another onion question please
« on: August 31, 2019, 16:57 »
I know we talk a lot about onions on this site and like most we are onion growers or like to think we are  :D so to my onion question although I like onions they don't like me so I'm looking for a more sweeter variety of bulb onion something to cook and eat raw that's not got a sharp taste also a nice salad onion sweet variety would also be welcome

does anyone know of any sweet varieties or even grows a sweet variety replies most welcome

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: just another onion question please
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 15:11 »
I grown Globo which is a large sweet 'Spanish-style' onion from seeds, another is Dulce de Fuentes. First year for the Dulce so not sure how long it will store for.
I also grow Long Red Florence for salad, you can pick them when they're thin or leave them to bulb up - but you can't store these for more than a few weeks once they're harvested:(

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 18:03 »
I think the old favourite Kelsae is making a very slow, and expensive, comeback.  My friend's husband always used to grow these very large, sweet onions.  He used to say "you can ate 'em like an opple." (You can eat them like an apple, and they were extremely mild and juicy. 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 09:48 »
Another vote for Globo.. terrific onions and not too eye watering. They easily grow to a decent size too
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 10:47 »
I also grow Long Red Florence for salad, you can pick them when they're thin or leave them to bulb up - but you can't store these for more than a few weeks once they're harvested:(
Interesting as I had planned on growing these next year along with my norms, the seed sites say " Good for storing"

Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 15:15 »
Interesting as I had planned on growing these next year along with my norms, the seed sites say " Good for storing"

I'd concur with mum that they definitely don't keep for more than a couple of weeks and that they are worth growing as 'big' spring onions.

jambop

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 14:18 »
I grow these onions. They are a very valuable crop because they do work as a salad onion but do form a nice bulb and can be very big really nice purple/red onion. I do say though that the do not last long maybe until November early December. I tend to use them all up first then go on to the standard yellow onion. Just to say though there is another very good old red variety called Red Amposte which I grow from seed. It form a really nice onion which does keep very well... and to date I have never had one of the seedlings bolt. I am just drying this years crop I will post a picture of them if you want to see what they look like.

xx
onion question from first time onion grower

Started by ceri green on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 20:48
by gillie
xx
Onion question

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 21:48
by Beetroot queen
xx
Onion question

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 00:17
by gavinjconway
xx
Onion question

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 17:48
by LivvyW

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 38 queries.