Tomatoes....

• 14 Replies

ches

• Experienced Member
Tomatoes....
« on: June 09, 2019, 20:07 »
Ok so tomato plants have been in ground in the poly tunnel for 2 days and they look dead. What have I don’t wrong? Too hot? Not enough water? Please help!
Ches

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomatoes....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 20:13 »
How much water did you give them?

In what way do the look dead?  Do you have a photo - it's often really helpful to indicate what the issue might be.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jezza

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 20:41 »
hello  what soil are the tomatoe  plants in in the poly tunnel in   as yorkie says a photo would help  jezza

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 20:47 »
Here’s a photo.  I’m not entirely sure what soil it is. I’ve only had the plot a week and very new to this
92806DF6-A784-4B93-ADD4-639214901D77.jpeg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 21:28 »
Did you grow them from seed?
The reason I ask is that I'm supposed to know what I'm doing but still managed to 'fry' my tomato seedlings on my kitchen windowsill this year despite following the same procedure as I have done for years.

They're just about recovering now - hopefully yours will too given the cooler cloudier weather at the moment.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 21:58 »
Did you grow them from seed?
The reason I ask is that I'm supposed to know what I'm doing but still managed to 'fry' my tomato seedlings on my kitchen windowsill this year despite following the same procedure as I have done for years.

They're just about recovering now - hopefully yours will too given the cooler cloudier weather at the moment.

They were given to us by a plot neighbour to get us going with something while we’re still trying to “de weed” the plot.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 22:38 »
I can see that the soil had been recently watered before the photo was taken.  Had it dried out before being watered?  (The rest of the soil looks dry).  Tomatoes often droop if insufficient watering - but do also perk up again (lucky for me!)

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 22:42 »
I can see that the soil had been recently watered before the photo was taken.  Had it dried out before being watered?  (The rest of the soil looks dry).  Tomatoes often droop if insufficient watering - but do also perk up again (lucky for me!)

I thought that. I think the water drains off pretty quick. I’ve watered well this evening. Will check again first thing tomorrow.

Should I be watering in the morning and evening.

lettice

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 08:58 »
I'd say that is lack of watering.
Would not recommend watering morning and evening, that is just drowning the plant.
I normally water my tomatoes, a good soaking once every three days during our hot summer days, in greenhouse or outside. Of course, not so much outside if its rained.

Water at the base of the plant, not over the plant itself.

Many use a drip feed method, like sinking containers in the ground beside the plants, so the plants can stay watered.

Have a look at this sites guide to watering requirements, you will see that they need more than you think.
https://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/how-to-grow-your-own-tomatoes/water-requirements-tomatoes/

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 10:35 »
my small tomato plants look like that when I pot them on (about 4-6 inch).  I think its called transplant shock, but they have normally recovered within a day or two, although the stakes look very close to the plants. could this have caused damage to the base of the plants? hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than me can advise.

also, agreeing with others, the ground looks very dry in that bed.

i hope they pick up for you. x

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:43 by goose »

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 12:42 »
my small tomato plants look like that when I pot them on (about 4-6 inch).  I think its called transplant shock, but they have normally recovered within a day or two, although the stakes look very close to the plants. could this have caused damage to the base of the plants? hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than me can advise.

also, agreeing with others, the ground looks very dry in that bed.

i hope they pick up for you. x

Thank you. I put the takes in prior to plant the tomato plants.

I’m hoping they perk up a bit. They’re looking a bit better today. And the ground still looks moist from last night

Pescador

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 06:56 »
There's really only one way to check if you've got the watering regime right, especially if you're new to growing or are growing on a new soli type.
You need to get a trowel and dig down to the depth of the roots and see if the soil there is moist.
I'd suggest you scratch out a hole 10-15cm deep, and about 10cm away from the plant and have a look. The moisture content of the surface can be totally different to what's happening down where it matters!
If it is dry down there, then give it a thorough  soaking, wait 12 or so hours and then dig down again and check to see if the water got down to the root zone. Only by doing this will you be able to translate "thorough soaking" into a volume of water that your soil type needs!
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 08:38 »
There's really only one way to check if you've got the watering regime right, especially if you're new to growing or are growing on a new soli type.
You need to get a trowel and dig down to the depth of the roots and see if the soil there is moist.
I'd suggest you scratch out a hole 10-15cm deep, and about 10cm away from the plant and have a look. The moisture content of the surface can be totally different to what's happening down where it matters!
If it is dry down there, then give it a thorough  soaking, wait 12 or so hours and then dig down again and check to see if the water got down to the root zone. Only by doing this will you be able to translate "thorough soaking" into a volume of water that your soil type needs!

Thanks Paul. This really helps

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 19:17 »
Just a quick update on the tomatoes.

They are all back to full health. Thank you all for the tips and advice!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 08:32 »
That is good news.  It is always a bit of a downer when you think you are going to lose plants you have been nurturing inside for a while.

xx
The last of the tomatoes

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 12, 2007, 22:34
by WG.
xx
Top 3 tomatoes?

Started by Biscombe on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 27, 2006, 20:55
by lentil987
xx
Tomatoes

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 10:33
by New shoot
clip
Tomatoes

Started by HeathM on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2020, 20:14
by Growster...

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 53 queries.