Straw

• 8 Replies

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Straw
« on: February 09, 2018, 23:57 »
Hi,

What's the best hay/straw to use as mulch around my strawberry's to protect the friut?

Thanks
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

mikem

• Experienced Member
Re: Straw
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 08:10 »
For me it is the cheapest! :lol:

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 08:14 »
I would only use straw and then it would depend on the quantity you require Birds tend to be the bigger problem so the jam jar or plastic bottle cut works well to protect the fruit
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 13:26 »
 I tend to use wheat straw I find its better than barley straw  not a lot of farmers seem have barley straw these days more wheat straw used round hear and most farmers do large bales these days as apposed to the small square bales

so depending on what area you have to cover may be a friendly farmer mite let you have a bag or two of wheat straw like my farmer friends when the strawberries have been picked I clear the straw of and mix it in my manure heap

we have quite an area on strawberry bed  so we straw round I put a wooden frame round the bed and completely net the bed  and fingers crossed we haven't had any probs from birds only a minimal amout of sug damage nothing to worry about hope this helps and good luck with you strawbery crop

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 19:08 »
HI,

I would have to look into the different types of straw available around my area.  My wife and two girls have Coeliac disease so need to be careful what sort I get.
The strawberry's will be going into a fruit cage when I manage to get it built.

Thanks

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 21:37 »
I stopped using straw because mice decided to nest in it and eat all the strawberries 😳. I now plant my strawberries into black weed suppressing fabric and net them from the birds.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 20:19 »
Hi.
Might have to try that myself as it's too much of a risk for using hay/straw in case it does my family some harm. 
Thanks for the reply's.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 19:41 »
hi Dantheman you didn't actually say about the problem that straw could cause to your family on your original question so when you ask he question so I gave you some advise regarding using straw on a normal bassis

but i would seek further profecinal advise when thinking about using any straw because my advise is only for the  home gardener normal use

thank you

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 20:40 »
Hi,

Sorry I mentioned it after your comment, my original questions was about using straw as a mulch but then looked in to it further and saw what it was made up with.  I then done a little more research. 
In the summer when it's dry I think it could give off harmful dust so going to give it a miss.

Thanks.

xx
Straw use

Started by Baz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2007, 20:55
by WG.
xx
Straw

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 17:31
by Trillium
xx
The last straw

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 20:49
by Livinhope
xx
Straw

Started by Schubunny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 16:01
by Trillium

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 35 queries.