Powdery mildew

• 6 Replies

harry

Powdery mildew
« on: July 11, 2017, 12:53 »
I have powdery mildew on my courgette plants, what can i do to cure it and what is the cause  :(

Thanks
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Powdery mildew
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 14:07 »
Firstly, are you 100% sure it's powdery mildew? Many, if not most courgette varieties have a white mottling of the leaves which is quite normal, whereas powdery mildew is a white deposit on, rather than within, the leaves.

Squashes often develop mildew by the end of the season, and it's a fungal disease which unusually is encouraged by dry conditions rather than wet, although once it gets a hold, damp, humid conditions make it worse.

Some say that spraying with diluted milk helps control it - apart from that all you can do is remove the worst of the affected leaves which will slow the spread. A liquid feed will help the plants overcome the weakening effect of the fungus and keep them producing for longer.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Gellideg

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 14:18 »
Harry-- I put 1 tablespoon full of bicarb of soda in approx1 gallon of water and spray with water can.Always works for me.It is not an accurate amount,if you doubled the strength as I do sometimes it still is OK.  John.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 15:46 »
I have powdery mildew on my courgette plants, what can i do to cure it and what is the cause  :(

Thanks

Make sure they get enough water, they usually suffer more when the roots are dry.

victoria park

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 17:15 »
I think it's just nature's way of ensuring there aren't more courgettes on the planet than we need.
I've never had courgettes that don't exhibit the white looking mould, but they still produce far too many fruits

harry

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 10:57 »
Thanks for all the replys.

victoria park

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 18:14 »
As JayG mentioned above, I was talking to a plot neighbour today, and he swears by the semi-skimmed milk thing diluted by 4 times the water. His courgettes he's treated look perfect and he says you can see the leaves start to change within an hour. Must be a chemical reaction.
It's a new one on me, and I will definitely be trying this on Sunday, as toward the end of the season, the mildew can eventually overwhelm the plant. I might not need any more courgettes to eat, but it is nice to see stunning plants on your plot.

xx
powdery mildew

Started by littlejaffa on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 09:57
by sunshineband
xx
Powdery Mildew

Started by rockyracoon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 19:30
by mr Isaccs
xx
powdery mildew

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 06, 2019, 10:28
by Grubbypaws
xx
powdery mildew

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 22:29
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 36 queries.