Is chilean guava ka-pow eaten by birds?

• 13 Replies

icbradley

Is chilean guava ka-pow eaten by birds?
« on: November 08, 2016, 12:46 »
Hi,

I have had a very small harvest off the one chilean guava plant that I have (and the taste is fantastic) but I was wondering if I have to protect the plant next season from birds.  Is it too exotic to be recognised as food by the local wildlife?

Ian

BabbyAnn

Re: Is chilean guava ka-pow eaten by birds?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 13:42 »
reading up on chilean guava on wikipedia, I suspect once birds find the fruits they might well eat them (red berries are attractive to them)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 08:48 »
The birds have ignored my chilean guava completely.  Even the chickens were indifferent to it.

Mine is now in the unheated greenhouse and its 2nd crop this year is nearly ready  :)

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 20:13 »
Hi,

I have had a very small harvest off the one chilean guava plant that I have (and the taste is fantastic) but I was wondering if I have to protect the plant next season from birds.  Is it too exotic to be recognised as food by the local wildlife?

Ian

are you growing it outdoor? I am thinking get one plant. not sure what should I start with, seeds or young plant or mature plant?

thanks
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

icbradley

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 09:09 »
Hi Bing,

Yes, it is in a pot outdoors.  I bought a plant from Edulis and was advised it was hardy but would not like being exposed at my windy allotment. I have also just bought another Chilean Guava plant from Crocus.  Superb specimen.

Ian

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 10:17 »
There are grey squirrels around here, and until I improved my garden's defences, badgers too, which used to dig their latrines right next to my sweetcorn (yuk  :nowink:), but neither they nor the squirrels have ever touched the cobs.

Others have reported on here losing their sweetcorn to both forms of wildlife, so it seems possible that individual animals do have be taught that something is a tasty treat rather than knowing it instinctively.

Never heard of Chilean guava before reading this thread - hopefully your local bird inhabitants haven't either, and also aren't too keen on experimentation  ::), although presumably the plant wouldn't be too difficult to protect with netting when the fruits are ripening.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 11:56 »
sorry if i'm going slightly off topic, but i've not heard of these before and am now very interested.

can you eat them straight from the bush? will they grow in a pretty how poly tunnel? what sort of size and shape will they form, can you train them (fan shape).

icbradley

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 12:29 »
Hi,

New Shoot is the expert on Chilean Guava.  It is like a blueberry but red berries.  Yes I ate the berries straight from the bush, mine is not trained but if I can propagate enough I may make a hedge with it.

Ian

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 15:52 »
New Shoot is the expert on Chilean Guava.

Well I got mine as a pressie last year, so not really, but thank you for the compliment  :lol:

Mine was a fairly good sized shrub when I got it and is in a pot.  It was outside all spring and summer but is now in the unheated greenhouse as I have been advised it is only hardy down to -5 degrees C, plus it has a 2nd crop of fruits that are nearly ready and I'm hoping they will ripen.

You can eat them straight off the plant, but I've also discovered that half defrosted from the freezer, they are even better  :D  Lovely tropical flavours, though hard to describe as an exact taste.

There are piccies in my diary - 14th Jan 2016 and 11th September 2016 give the best overall shots  :)

3759allen

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 18:14 »
thanks for the replies.

do they need acidic soil like blueberries? as blueberries seem to grow in bushes i take it they wouldn't be ideal to train in a flat fan shape.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 11:14 »
Not acidic soil, but either a sunny well drained spot or a pot.  They are related to Myrtle, so form a similar rounded shaped evergreen small shrub.  Not ideal for fan training really

3759allen

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 13:22 »
i'll bare it in mind if i find a space outside for it, but probably a no to growing in the tunnel.

i'll leave the thread to get on with the original question now.

personally i'm lucky enough not need to cover any fruit, even blue berries. our black birds seem to only have a taste for worms. but if you have birds that take any fruit i would imagine they would happily take a red berry.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 18:45 »
Crocus appears to be the only place that have them in stock.  But pricey as usual from Crocus.  Icbradley are you saying the Crocus one is a good plant and possibly worth a bit extra expense?

icbradley

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 11:29 »
Hi,

I am lucky to live close to Crocus so I can collect but the plant was as big as the one I had looked after for a year!
I would say it was worth the extra.

Ian

xx
chilean guava ka-pow

Started by Growing4mykids on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 10:30
by Growing4mykids
xx
Chilean Guava

Started by Middlesexbloke on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 21:08
by mumofstig
xx
Chilean guava in decline

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 02, 2022, 13:47
by Candide
xx
Chilean Guavas

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 07:16
by rowan57

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 38 queries.