french dwarf beans

• 30 Replies

mat whitlock

french dwarf beans
« on: May 01, 2016, 18:43 »
Hey all

Ive got some seeds of french dwarf beans and was wondering how many of these i can put in each of the  the sq ft gardening squares?

ive come up with a way of securing the poles but unsure how many i can plant in there.
i was thinking 1 in each corner of the square, would that be any good?

cheers all
The purpose of our lives is to be happy

diary comments here :-   http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=123266.0

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: french dwarf beans
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 19:01 »
I'd plant four, 9ins apart in a square , so they aren't right at the edge of the sq ft lines and then drop one in the middle  :D

I've done 5 in a planter, like this, and it worked ok.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 19:15 »
Ah, interested to read a thread about dwarf beans and how to plant them out (I'm new to veggie gardening).
I've planted some beans in individual pots and put them in/under (?) a cold frame with a view to planting them out once they've germinated. But I'm now wondering if I should have simply put them straight into my raised bed as I did with my broad beans?

mat whitlock

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 19:17 »
I'd plant four, 9ins apart in a square , so they aren't right at the edge of the sq ft lines and then drop one in the middle  :D

I've done 5 in a planter, like this, and it worked ok.

thanks for that

do they need there own cane, or can i put can each end and string across, a line for each row? if that makes sense

cheers

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 19:42 »
I've never used canes for dwarf beans, so unless you are in a particularly windy spot, I wouldn't bother.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 20:08 »
Ah, interested to read a thread about dwarf beans and how to plant them out (I'm new to veggie gardening).
I've planted some beans in individual pots and put them in/under (?) a cold frame with a view to planting them out once they've germinated. But I'm now wondering if I should have simply put them straight into my raised bed as I did with my broad beans?

You can sow direct but they are prone to rotting if too wet, if sown in a pot hopefully you can water sparingly
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mat whitlock

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 20:13 »
I've never used canes for dwarf beans, so unless you are in a particularly windy spot, I wouldn't bother.

OK thank you for that.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 20:40 »
I purposely grow the dwarf varieties as they don't need canes - I have enough to do with the runner beans and mange tout! I don't do the square foot gardening but I plant in beds. I would have thought 5 might be a bit tight - the spacing I give them would probably be the equivalent to 2 per square but I am sure there will be others along who have actually done it with this method.

mat whitlock

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 21:42 »
Thanks all

This forum is great, full of people willing to help out.
one day hopefully i will be able to help beginners also

cheers all

mat whitlock

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 21:43 »
I purposely grow the dwarf varieties as they don't need canes - I have enough to do with the runner beans and mange tout! I don't do the square foot gardening but I plant in beds. I would have thought 5 might be a bit tight - the spacing I give them would probably be the equivalent to 2 per square but I am sure there will be others along who have actually done it with this method.

I have some mange tout, what would you suggest for the spacing on those?
ive not opened the pack yet, want to make sure i have enough room

mat

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 21:46 »
I grow dwarf French beans in conventional rows. Usually I put them 6 inches apart along the row with 2 feet row spacing. That is plenty close enough. In fact sometimes I have planted 12 inches apart, when I have been short of plants, and seen no difference in yield.

Your equivalent to 6 inches apart on 2 ft rows would be 1 plant per square foot. In my minds eye I think that would be just perfect.

They do not need poles. I usually grow the Kenya type pencil thin ones. Pick them tiny. The more you pick the more you get.

mat whitlock

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 21:51 »
thank you salmo

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 21:56 »

It would be to your advantage Mat to post a separate topic on mange tout as the pea experts may not be reading this. How do you grow peas when square foot gardening? Little wigwams perhaps?

mat whitlock

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 21:58 »

It would be to your advantage Mat to post a separate topic on mange tout as the pea experts may not be reading this. How do you grow peas when square foot gardening? Little wigwams perhaps?

will do

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 22:12 »

You can sow direct but they are prone to rotting if too wet, if sown in a pot hopefully you can water sparingly

Thanks, Snowdrops.

Mat - apologies - I wasn't trying to highjack your thread, just thought I'd ask a quick question on the same subject instead of starting a new thread.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 22:13 by Vagabond »

xx
French Dwarf beans

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 26, 2017, 13:11
by AnneB
xx
Dwarf French Beans

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 09:43
by J_B
xx
Dwarf French beans

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 20:01
by JayG
xx
Dwarf French Beans

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 18:59
by DD.

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 36 queries.