Useless weedkiller

• 11 Replies

Lardman

Useless weedkiller
« on: April 02, 2016, 15:38 »
Every year I wage war against the bindweed that creeps between and around the concrete gravelboards from next door, you may remember me moaning about it  :lol:  ;)

Last year in an effort to knock it back I tried training it up canes and painting weedkiller & wallpaper paste onto the leaves.  Here's the result  :mad: that's a 15l bucket having cleared (the best I can) an 18" x 12" strip. They certainly don't look like weak and feeble roots to me !
useless_weedkiller.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Useless weedkiller
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 15:47 »
Bind weed on the plot and couch mainly in the garden are the bane of my life - so you have my sympathy  :(

Mine also comes in from next door  :mad: :mad:  :mad:

Snoop

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 15:50 »
It's horrible stuff. I'm struggling with it this year... again. You have my sympathy.

Plotmaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 18:12 »
There is bindweed coming from under the concrete path my neighbouring allotment holder has laid so some form of weed killer on a regular basis of a flame thrower are my only options  :nowink:

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 18:41 »
I've been battling bindweed on my plot ever since I took it on seven years ago.  I have dug so deeply that the roots I have got out have been like small wooden branches, and STILL it comes back.  I am growing some tagetes minuta this year to see if it will have a weakening effect on it, but I won't hold my breath.

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 19:33 »
My late Mum waged a 40 year war on bindweed in her garden; digging out what seemed to be miles of roots when we first moved in, and pulling up any she saw growing. Although she never won a total victory, it was kept in check such that it was only poking through from the boundaries with next doors' gardens when she died.

Anyone with it in their garden or plot has my deepest sympathy.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 21:23 »
Im going back to digging it out when I see it, last year was an experiment and it clearly hasn't worked.  :(

At least it's not to difficult in my sand pit, I can imagine it would be a right pain in the rear if it was stuck in heavy clay.

Trikidiki

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 22:20 »
........  I am growing some tagetes minuta this year to see if it will have a weakening effect on it, but I won't hold my breath.

Keep us posted.  Do you know if it has a bad effect on any cultivated plants, I can't believe it is that clever to only 'attack' bindweed, ground elder and couch.

Trikidiki

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 22:25 »
Im going back to digging it out when I see it, last year was an experiment and it clearly hasn't worked.  :(

At least it's not to difficult in my sand pit, I can imagine it would be a right pain in the rear if it was stuck in heavy clay.

Do you get any 'lesser bindweed' in your sandpit? I have and it's a bu&&er to get rid of, seems to go down for miles so digging it out brings pure sand to the surface. Glyphosate knocks it back but doesn't kill it.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 11:35 »
Do you get any 'lesser bindweed' in your sandpit? I have and it's a bu&&er to get rid of, seems to go down for miles so digging it out brings pure sand to the surface. Glyphosate knocks it back but doesn't kill it.

I think it's hedge - heavy plant and pure white flowers. I've found it 2ft down which is about all the top soil I have. The area was thick with it, I've removed most it from the main garden but there's nothing I can do about it coming in from next door.  Probably not helped by some bright spark planting the raspberry canes along that fence line  ::)  :wub:

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 17:51 »
........  I am growing some tagetes minuta this year to see if it will have a weakening effect on it, but I won't hold my breath.

Keep us posted.  Do you know if it has a bad effect on any cultivated plants, I can't believe it is that clever to only 'attack' bindweed, ground elder and couch.

Will do.  I'm interested to find out myself if it has any effect of the weeds, and hope the adjacent cultivated plants will be ok.   Having tried both digging it out and also training the bindweed up canes and painting weedkiller on it, both without a lot of success, I'm willing to try anything.

jezza

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 20:45 »
hi i killed a lot by training up canes then painting with S B K tough weed killer use 15 ml to a liter of water do not use wallpaper paste that blocks the leaf pores and prevents weedkiller entry most  wallpaper pastes contain fungicides you need an herbicide    jezza

xx
Bonemeal - useless?

Started by wolveryeti on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 18, 2021, 07:34
by jambop
xx
Useless at rhubarb

Started by GreyScales on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 18:26
by Sparkyrog
xx
Cauliflowers - pretty but useless

Started by ClaireMc on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 12:28
by muntjac
xx
cabbage root fly - collars useless

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 21:57
by muntjac

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 37 queries.