New things for next season?

• 24 Replies

Growster...

Re: New things for next season?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 05:26 »
Japanese onions!

They're tiddly in their little pots at the moment, and will need to go in to their final beds at some stage, but we're not quite sure when...

I have a bed full and the excess were potted onto larger pots and they are in the greenhouse

Thanks Cadders, I'll have to wait anyway, as the ground is sodden at the moment!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 09:41 »
I've grown asparagus before (cheap ones from Wilkos which were very productive) but had to leave them behind when I moved plots in 2011, so have ordered some Purple Pacific crowns.

I've also ordered my potatoes for next year - my usual and fave Vivaldi, another fave first early Arran Pilot and then a new for me (and despite vowing I'd never grow maincrop potatoes ...) Isle of Jura.  I might live to regret that impulse buy LOL

I'm currently planting up raspberry canes - the ones at home had to be cleared to make way for building work a couple of years ago and I have missed them so I've decided to dedicate a couple of beds at the plot.  I've always just had summer fruiting ones in the past but this time have gone for a selection with maybe a bit more emphasis on late season.

Next year will hopefully be the year of the melon. I have one or two  :blush: packets of seed lined up so if I don't get one out of that lot I know it is definitely me.

2015 definitely hasn't been the year of the melon in my opinion and I'm quietly confident next year is going to be it  ;)

Snoop

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 09:53 »
Good luck with the Dunluce, Surbie.

As for us, I'm going to try some cannelini and lima beans for shelling. And more of everything else: with luck I'll be back in my big plot next year.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 10:46 »
I'm currently planting up raspberry canes - the ones at home had to be cleared to make way for building work a couple of years ago and I have missed them so I've decided to dedicate a couple of beds at the plot.  I've always just had summer fruiting ones in the past but this time have gone for a selection with maybe a bit more emphasis on late season.

I've really loved having raspberries this year. Joan J have been fantastic croppers and I am slowly getting through handfuls of the frozen ones for quick puddings most evenings. Yum!

2015 definitely hasn't been the year of the melon in my opinion and I'm quietly confident next year is going to be it  ;)

Next year will hopefully be the year of the melon. I have one or two  :blush: packets of seed lined up so if I don't get one out of that lot I know it is definitely me.

I really hope so. I had 5 melon plants and got one small watermelon in the end. All the others went crispy and died.

ptarmigan

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 11:16 »
It was a bad year for lots of things for me - courgettes, squash and french beans.  But I am going to try them all again, as when they work, they are fantastic. 

Also got a greenhouse this year so can't wait to try new stuff out. 

Christine

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 07:58 »
If the promised greenhouse present turns up then I shall be growing bell peppers and spicy peppers.

andimac

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 12:23 »
New things for me at home will include using the new greenhouse properly for the first season. So aubergines, sweetcorn, chillies, tomatoes and possibly even the grapevine which has been outside all summer will be given a chance to show their stuff.
Outside, in the real gardening world, I'm hoping the asparagus will start to come good in year 2 and I will be trying out shallots and PSB as well as a different variety of potatoes (undecided as to what to plant yet).
Plus, lots of new fruit
In addition to all that, I am hoping, as mentioned in an earlier thread, to have an allotment to play with too!

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 13:33 »
I haven't thought of anything new for next year, but this year I have been so pleased with my salsify and oca, I will be doing MORE of them, and fewer parsnips   
Rachael

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 13:52 »
Florence fennel, watermelons and courgette variety. Te latter to give the neighbours a giggle, they all grow the smoothe, pale green ones but I don't see them eating them much, I think the animals have most of them

oldgrunge

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2015, 21:14 »
With the current weather, I was thinking of rice and watercress!  :lol: :lol: :lol:
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

xx
State the two things that you vow to do differently this season......

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

49 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 18:03
by earthing83
xx
Odd one....Next season seeds from this season crops

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:21
by zazen999
xx
New Season

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 18:10
by sazhig
xx
First of the season

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2015, 16:23
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 36 queries.