Sorting out the raspberry bed.

• 5 Replies

Lardman

Sorting out the raspberry bed.
« on: April 03, 2015, 14:16 »
Id like to do a bit better with the raspberry bed this year. I've just bee tying things up today after last weeks wind made a bit of a mess.  There are 3 varieties (I forget which) but all are summer fruiting, currently there are lots of short canes, twisted canes and many of the rest are over 6'.

Would it be prudent to thin out short or twisted canes, reduce the number of canes per clump and reduce what's there to say 5' in height ?

meterman

• Experienced Member
Re: Sorting out the raspberry bed.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 20:37 »
Just remove the short, twisted and also any thin canes. i found that some varieties fruited better if the top 6 to 12 inches was removed so try 1/2 of each variety and note the best for you. now's the time to put some slow release fertiliser and then 2-4 inch's of well rotted manure or compost. when i pick the last rasp i immediately cut the fruited canes out and repeat the fertiliser and mulch as this helps next years crop

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:51 »
cut out the spindly ones. i leave 3 or 4 canes per plant, mine are planted less than 2 ft apart so any more will be very cramped.

mine seem to love rabbit manure mulch, i spread it nice and thick when they've finished in late autumn and let it do it's thing.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 12:34 »
I have literally just come in from cutting down last year's canes (yes I know it should have been done after fruiting), trying to get all the couch grass out, heavily mulching with mushroom compost and feeding with chicken manure pellets. Reading meterman's post I will trim off the top 6" of the tall ones tomorrow.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 14:07 »
I mulched with spent compost / BFB in Feb - has a nice crop of weeds growing it in now  ::) I've planted very closely and I do worry about getting lots of rubbish canes rather than a few really good ones.

I've taken out the wimpy / bent canes but Im still on the fence about reducing the height and removing all but 2-3 canes per clump..  :unsure:

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 20:47 »
I mulched with spent compost / BFB in Feb - has a nice crop of weeds growing it in now  ::) I've planted very closely and I do worry about getting lots of rubbish canes rather than a few really good ones.

I've taken out the wimpy / bent canes but Im still on the fence about reducing the height and removing all but 2-3 canes per clump..  :unsure:

how close have you planted them? mine started about 2 foot apart and any more then 3 or 4 canes just gets out of hand for harvesting.

my understanding is that if you reduce the amount of canes to the healthiest 3 canes the nutrients and light that is available will only be split between a smaller number of canes giving a healthier crop. i could be wrong but it does make sense in theory.

xx
sorting seeds

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 12, 2021, 12:03
by Goosegirl
xx
Sorting out my plot ?

Started by nicklord1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 23:55
by noshed
xx
Sorting the plot

Started by PhilCardiff on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 17:38
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Strawberries need sorting out

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 12:37
by surbie100

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 36 queries.