weed control without chemicals

• 33 Replies

keeper

• Trevorl
Re: weed control without chemicals
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 20:51 »
I would use glyphosate. Let the weeds get a bit of leaf on them before you do it.

The soil will have a lot od weed seeds which will keep on coming. As the years go on they will become less.

I was originally, going to keep using Glyphosate, after my original clearing with it and ,unusually for me being patient,  waiting a year before planting. It has been interesting though to get the different viewpoints, and has made me realise I need to be patient still and keep doing what I am doing, as I will get on top of it eventually.
I have also, decided for this year to clear where possible, and leave just the Leeks and Parsnips in place and rest the plot and give me a chance to spray before back-end and next Spring.

Thanks again for the ideas.

edit to fix quote
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 13:15 by mumofstig »

mobilekat

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 21:55 »
The simple one for me is I grow food in my garden, so don't want to use things that will affect the food I eat.

I do use occasional spot on Glycophospate for the odd 'persistent begger', otherwise it's pulling, hoeing, digging and delving!

Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

keeper

• Trevorl
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 13:10 »
Hi Mum,
I have quoted Salmo in my reply , but somehow my reply is in the quote ??
 Have I done something wrong.?  ???

Keeper

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 13:19 »
Hi Mum,

Keeper

It's easily done, and I have to put a lot of quotes right, so don't worry  ;)

When you want to add comments after a quote make sure you start typing after the final [ / quote] brackets
sometimes you have to go down in the reply box to find them, though.

Christine

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 20:22 »
You've all forgotten the old rule that says one year's seeds is seven year's weeds. Docks and plantains are both very generous indeed with their seeds. Rosebay willowherb is another of the gang (but that's very pretty) but it grows on running roots like nettles.  And once the roots get going then you have the originals and their offspring in all three cases. We won't talk of dandelions then.  ;)

That's before we start on weeds on strings - nettles and bindweed and rosebay willowherb.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 12:13 »
Verdone should not be used where veg is grown it contains clopyralid, and will ruin your soil, it causes stunted growth and misformed leaves  :ohmy:

It is particularly damaging to peas, tomatoes and sunflowers and can render potatoes, lettuce and spinach inedible.[4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clopyralid

Thanks for the info!

So far I have not had a problem, but will not use it again on the cultivated bits!

Cheers!
STOP, and smell the roses!

keeper

• Trevorl
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 13:29 »
Hi Mum,

Keeper

When you want to add comments after a quote make sure you start typing after the final [ / quote] brackets
sometimes you have to go down in the reply box to find them, though.

You mean like this I hope , Thanks Mum.  :)

Christine, I have not forgotten that's why I am trying to make sure they don't seed this year.

Edit - nearly Keeper - you partially deleted the final [/quote] (leaving just "[/ )"  ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 15:00 by JayG »

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 15:22 »
Re: weed control without chemicals - this took us two, two days of steady work five or six years ago... there's still one comfrey plant that comes up in the middle - he's in the carrots this year

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 16:07 »
I bet it's taken an awful lot of hoeing/weeding to keep it clear though  :lol:

Weeding really isn't something that gets done just the once, is it  ;)

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 20:14 »
Well after much furgling through the depths of google, and chuntering in the lotty shop on the range of methods available and their various foibles I have come to the conclusion that there is only one true effective way of chemical free weed control!!!!!  Tear the little sods out by their roots
May the fork be with you

dadchas

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 23:50 »
I have the solution to my weed problem! All it needs is for everyone on this site to come to my place for a day and dig up four weeds each. Problem solved. I will provide tea/coffee/biscuits.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 08:48 »
I have the solution to my weed problem! All it needs is for everyone on this site to come to my place for a day and dig up four weeds each. Problem solved. I will provide tea/coffee/biscuits.

Are you nearby?
I'm on my way for tea and biccies :D

Joking aside - regular hand weeding is the best way to get on top of your perennial and annual weeds.
10 years ago when I got my plot I had  big problem with creeping buttercup which only needs a teeny weeny bit of root to make a spectacular comeback. ::)
Now it only appears in one spot now and then.

The annuals come up easily with handweeding, and if you catch them pre seeding, you clear the problem - it doesn't however stop weed seeds blowing in from other plots/being dropped by birds etc. ;)

So I'd get the serious weeds under control with good digging and glyphosate to start, then just regular hand weeding  ;) :)

Nobbie

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 09:25 »
My allotment was overgrown with lots of weed seeds in it when I got it last season. On one patch I planted spuds which helped supress the weeds and I dug out any remaining perennials when I dug the spuds. As I didn't need the ground i just lightly rotorvated it every couple weeks so that plenty of the existing seeds germinate before I sow anything next year. At least I'll have a chance of spotting my seedling amounst the weeds :)

I may be getting another plot which is overgrown with thistles and meadowsweet. I think my plan there will be to strim the top growth right down to the ground and let it dry where it is. I'll then go over it with a flamegun to burn this off and hopefully destroy most of the weed seeds on the surface before disturbing the soil and burying them. After that it's back to Glyphoste to deal with perennials, but if I was 'organic' then a thorough dig should have much the same effect.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:30 by Nobbie »

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 12:27 »
Sounds like a good plan Nobbie :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 12:50 »
Any plot that is left for a few weeks will have weeds.
I would use glyphosate on an allotment that has been badly neglected, but would not want to spray regularly.
As an area becomes free of a crop I thoroughly dig it over and that keeps the weeds under control.

xx
Weed Control

Started by spudkins on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 22:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
Weed control

Started by ThePragmatist on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 11:45
by greenthing
xx
weed control.

Started by sussexchook on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 07, 2015, 18:16
by JayG
xx
Weed control

Started by Rincon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 26, 2015, 18:38
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 37 queries.