Onion question

• 8 Replies

al78

Onion question
« on: March 29, 2014, 12:32 »
I have some onion seedlings that i sowed three to a module in mid February, they are now about four inches high and have ditched the seed leaves. At what stage should I think about planting them out on the plot? Should I first pot them on to one to a module and leave for a couple of weeks before planting out?

Kleftiwallah

Re: Onion question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 13:11 »

I'm not too sure what you mean by 'seed leaves'.  It's usual to transplant onion seedlings after the 'crook leaf' stage into single pots and then transflant to their final position when 4" - 5"  tall.

Well that's wot I duz!   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 13:19 »
By seed leaves, I take it you mean the seed part has dropped off the top of a leaf. I would pot on when they have about 4 leaves, but maybe give them a very dilute liquid feed just beforehand.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 16:30 »
 Onions often loose that first leaf, probably stress.

Sounds as though they are coming along nicely. Plant them out in the modules just as they are. Plant the modules about 12 inches apart in the row.

Ideally 4 plants per module. If you have more leave them for now and pull them as spring onions when they get big enough. These thinings are scallions.

There is no hurry to plant them out. Better to let them get a bit bigger. Two or three weeks time perhaps.

Totty

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 18:03 »
I'd thin them to one, or split them up and plant one per module if you want decent sized onions. Planting four out together will result in them growing ok, but small. That what shallots are for!

Totty

al78

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 19:52 »

I'm not too sure what you mean by 'seed leaves'.  It's usual to transplant onion seedlings after the 'crook leaf' stage into single pots and then transflant to their final position when 4" - 5"  tall.

Well that's wot I duz!   Cheers,   Tony.

By "seed leaves" I meant the first leaf that grew after they germinated, at least I assumed that was a seed leaf, as that leaf seems to have died back on all of the seedlings.

Here is what they look like at the moment, three to a module.
onions.jpg

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 21:42 »
I'd thin them to one, or split them up and plant one per module if you want decent sized onions. Planting four out together will result in them growing ok, but small. That what shallots are for!

Totty

Totty you can grow them 4 per module and they grow themselves out as large bulbs no probs.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Totty

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 15:52 »
So long as they receive the light and nutrient to grow, they will do so. They won't, however, make good sized bulbs. They will make smaller bulbs. Which is fine, if you want little onions. It's far easier to peel and chop one onion for a family of five, than four. Everyone's needs are different I guess.

There is a feeling of achievement in pulling a couple of big onions from the ground, by the look of your plants, you won't have to wait too long to find out Gav!

Totty

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 00:17 »
 :D :D

xx
onion question from first time onion grower

Started by ceri green on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 20:48
by gillie
xx
onion question

Started by lisa80 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 20:19
by lisa80
xx
Onion question

Started by durham_lass on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 21:53
by vegmandan
xx
Onion question

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 19:14
by Remy

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 34 queries.