What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

beesrus

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #1590 on: December 09, 2014, 16:01 »
Absolutely nothing, zero, not a stroke, the sum of zilch squared, diddly.
It's cold and wet up there, all under control with zero pests or watering needs.
Will make one visit to pull up the holiday greens and root veg..... and just maybe cut/dig in some fava/broad bean green manure, depending on how they're faring.

I'm planning at home though, putting my onion and pepper seeds on standby. The propagator will be fired up when the sun goes over the solstice yardarm... not long now.

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #1591 on: December 09, 2014, 16:43 »
I'm so pleased to be on a forum where people actually know what they're talking about - and willing to share, too!

Yes, I'm actually counting the minutes down to this winters solstice!
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1592 on: December 09, 2014, 16:49 »
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is for telling everyone what we did on the plot today, not what we didn't do or general chit chat  :)

Ema

« Reply #1593 on: December 09, 2014, 21:27 »
Popped down at lunch, dug up the rest/5 oca plants and 2 fartachoke plants (enough to feed an army) plus the first few leaves of kale. Thought about much needed weeding but didn't get very far with restricted time

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1594 on: December 09, 2014, 21:38 »
Sat all by myself in peace and quiet and drank my coffee, and then was sufficiently enlivened to dig out and barrow away to the communal dump all the remaining old strawberry plants ( I have made a new bed already for next season) Even took out all the ones that had rooted in the path.  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lardman

« Reply #1595 on: December 11, 2014, 15:46 »
Finally found an hour free to spend in the garden (well it wasn't actually free I was supposed to be working :D ).

Raised the netting on the garlic which had started to come up, cleared lots of cat pooh  >:( cut down the toms, peppers and physallis everything was covered in mould so off it went to the fire. Grumbled at the chickens for not laying any eggs - first time since I started keeping them everyone has stopped laying.  :ohmy:  :(  Planted out 2 apple trees I am try to espalier the other 2 refuse to branch.

Still lots to do before I can consider things put to bed for winter, but at least it's a start.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1596 on: December 11, 2014, 21:21 »
As we had some woodchip delivered to our site which did not contain any green leafy matter, I spent several hours transporting builders' trugs of it, seven at a time (as that is all I could lay my hands on) from the mountain by the main gate to my plot the other side of the site ... and we have a very large site ... in my car.

These were then barrowed one by one down the plot to the far end, to improve the paths. I also took out every weed from the paths before laying down the new stuff. Where the old layer had mulched down there had been quite a lot of weed seeds germinated

I did four trips, but it does all look beautiful now. Just a few beds to tidy over now  :lol:

beesrus

« Reply #1597 on: December 12, 2014, 14:31 »
Only went up to harvest some lovely kale, parsnip, swede and carrot. But had to fix the blown out greenhouse door.. my stupid fault.
The plot looks so different now so much hedge/canes/bush/vines have died back, taking all those mysterious little corners and half romantic bowers with them.
Thought about a bonfire but decided a nice sunny Saturday morning tomorrow with some sort of cuppa would be far more suitable. Looking forward to the Penzance Solstice bonfire on 21st with associated guising music and merriment.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 14:33 by beesrus »

Maarten

« Reply #1598 on: December 13, 2014, 16:55 »
Finished making two raised beds. One where we hope to grow some blueberries, providing we can get the pH low enough, the other for carrots. For the rest, everything is very bare.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1599 on: December 13, 2014, 17:11 »
Moved some strawberry runners, did some pruning and raked some leaves.  Mended the greenhouse roof that had blown off.  Nice to be outside- greenhouse saying 23 degrees but there was frost all day in the shade   :nowink:

chillimummy

« Reply #1600 on: December 13, 2014, 17:28 »
Dug up half of my raspberries and moved them to my new fruit bed. Now have in that bed new strawberries all given to me, moved rhubarb so three plants there, a gooseberry bush given to me and half of my raspberry bushes. Weeded area but not sure what to do with the rest. Seems a waste to dig them up to throw away so might transplant the rest another day  :lol:   
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1601 on: December 14, 2014, 12:02 »
Cleared the weeds around the raspberries and the blackberries then mulched with manure.
Topped up the compost bins with manure, the sites delivery of manure is nearly depleted now :(

dave43

« Reply #1602 on: December 22, 2014, 08:56 »
planted the shallots into a wet plot. :( small hole, about the size of a fist made with trowel and filled with  hand full of sharp sand... shallot placed firmly on top and then filled up and covered with last years tomato compost.
last seasons harvest of shallots ready for the festive season..... two jars full of matured pickled onions ::)

dave

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1603 on: December 22, 2014, 17:04 »
Prepared the two beds for the raspberry canes I've just had delivered. I was hoping to get them in today but it took longer to sort the beds than I'd hoped. Back tomorrow to finish off the job.

Maarten

« Reply #1604 on: December 26, 2014, 16:21 »
Added a load of half rotten pine needles to the blueberry bed-to-be and some garden compost mixed with sharp sand for the carrot bed-to-be.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 35 queries.