Differences across your sites.

• 22 Replies

Beetroot queen

Differences across your sites.
« on: July 01, 2013, 10:55 »
This one gets me mad, the old boy down the bottom ( we are on a slope) doesnt net a thing, cauliflowers, swede, cabbages etc but the one thing he does have to net is beetroot. Never seen a slug or caterpillar on his stuff and not a single hole. We doesnt use anything either even slug pellets. His neighbours are all the same.

Up the slope, we have to net most things, peas, cabbage, brussels, etc etc but we dont have to net beetroot. ( i do while they start until they are about 4 inches and then they are fine) i dont take chances with my beetroots.

Why is it one small site can have such differences. Sometimes my plot looks like the ocean with so much blue netting.

We dont seem to have to cover fruit thats the only thing in common. Does your site have this too.

BabbyAnn

Re: Differences across your sites.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 11:13 »
I do know that my plot at the bottom of the hill is highly susceptible to blight if it starts becoming a problem - I think the spores just all float down the hill and land on my plot  ::)  Despite the minor flooding last year, during a drought season the bottom plots definitely fare a lot better than the upper plots were I used to have one - I'd rather keep the bottom plot and take the risk of blight.

But with regards to pests - I'm always fascinated by a plot right at the top of the hill and when I drive by on the track, it does not have a single net in sight nor any other tricks like shiney CD discs, yet there are large beds of strawberries and cabbage and brussel sprouts that are in pristine condition throughout the season.  I leave the tiniest gap in my cabbage net (so small I didn't even see it) and some pigeon got it, hammered the cabbages and left total destruction behind  :mad:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:16 »
Potatoes at the top of the site, where mine is, rarely get frosted -  but the ones at the bottom must be in the proverbial 'frost pocket' cos they always seem to suffer  ::)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 11:18 »
Now i can go without netting strawberries, its weird how it can change in such a small area.

seaside

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 12:42 »
It differs even on the same plot BQ. My rocket next to the broad beans was picked to pieces by birds, and yet ten yards away my other rocket plants next to the parsley remain totally untouched. I guess there may be a complementary planting thing involved somewhere, along with disguise and habit. I believe some pests have memories, even if I don't have. Mice or rats tend to remember where sweet corn hangs out, and we all know about soil pests hanging around in the same old places. I guess something similar could apply to the birds, why not ? And they obviously talk to each other.

I think I'll be knocking up some proper moveable brassica cages next year, as they are the bulk of the vulnerable crops. At the moment I concoct bamboo, tin cans and a variety of different netting almost on a piecemeal basis. reasonably effective but a real nuisance, and an accident just waiting to happen.

Rosehip

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 13:05 »
This is funny as I was just saying the same this at the weekend,I have to net or i would have nothing left,4 plots down not a net is sight and no attacks by birds,but in saying that he grows very little early crops,where i have strawberries,mangetout and peas and the birds found them,he has none of these crops, i wonder if this is why i get attacked by birds.

Jon Gale

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 13:48 »
Our site is new so this may yet change, but early signs are that people at the top of the slope are struggling with rabbits (they are close to a hedge with several established warrens) while people at the bottom are struggling with pigeons (they are hard up against woodland).

I am halfway down the slope and simply struggle with the wind (ooh er missus).

A few nights ago the last person out forgot to close the gates - next morning the first person in found half a dozen deer in the site.
Breaking new ground.............literally!

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 15:41 »
Can I ask a question - why does he net the beetroot ? I have to net stuff against pigeons and caterpillars etc - but I have never covered the beetroot - even at the seedling stage - nor have seen anybody else do it.
 However , my sister has just netted her runner beans after watching the birds pulling all her seedlings out this year - I have never seen that either ......

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 15:48 »
Can I ask a question - why does he net the beetroot ? I have to net stuff against pigeons and caterpillars etc - but I have never covered the beetroot - even at the seedling stage - nor have seen anybody else do it.
 However , my sister has just netted her runner beans after watching the birds pulling all her seedlings out this year - I have never seen that either ......

When they first emerge they get eaten by the birds. I net mine at the start

grendel

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 17:52 »
there is a definite difference between the 2 sites I am on, one stays wetter (but is at the highest point),  the other something eats any pea plant up to about 5" above ground.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 21:12 »
we have to net brassicas, beetroot and peas   some people net everything

Jackypam

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 21:37 »

I think I'll be knocking up some proper moveable brassica cages next year, as they are the bulk of the vulnerable crops. At the moment I concoct bamboo, tin cans and a variety of different netting almost on a piecemeal basis. reasonably effective but a real nuisance, and an accident just waiting to happen.

Sounds a good idea?  Do you have instructions?  Woodwork is not my strong suit!

bravemurphy

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 21:51 »

I have had to net my beetroot this year because the sparrows seem to love it.

dmg

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 22:22 »
My plot is at the top and is exposed and my Aunt's at the bottom and is framed by trees there is only about 200m difference between us. The difference is quite large fruit wise.
Her grapevine went into leaf 2 weeks before mine
she is harvesting strawberries and mine have just set
the tomatoes have set their second truss mine just the first
her gooseberries are ready to pick mine just swelling
Her peas are in full flower mine only a couple of plants.
I think I will be starting everything in her gh next year ;)

Jackypam

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 22:46 »
My plot is on the top of a hill exposed to west south and north winds, protected from the easterlies by a hedge.  Views are fantastic, can see half of East Sussex, and the edge of surrey and kent  I think.  Trouble is, the veg notice the wind, but don't appreciate the views!

xx
best sites for fig

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2017, 09:28
by andyf75
xx
are there any web sites

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 22:29
by poultrygeist
xx
council run sites

Started by neil the allotment kid on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 16:56
by flowergirl
xx
useful topics and sites request

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 18:47
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 35 queries.