Useless at rhubarb

• 20 Replies

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
Useless at rhubarb
« on: June 30, 2013, 22:24 »
I tried to grow rhubarb for the first time (among other things) this year in pots and haven't had the best of success to put it mildly. Only one of the five rhubarb crowns I planted actually grew, I tried one in what little soil we have in our garden where we once grew it many years ago and that didn't take either. Emptying the pots for inspection the crowns had turned black and mushy, like they hadn't bothered to grow at all and just rotted :/

I heard rhubarb was difficult to kill so you can imagine I'm not feeling particularly good about killing four. I'm not sure what I did wrong, there was no signs of them attempting to grow at all, just some potting mix and water; nothing special. With the one I stuck in the ground I enriched the soil the best I could, didn't make a difference.

I'm tempted to try seeds now given the crowns aren't doing well for me, but I take it I've missed that boat? Says between autumn and spring depending on the variety, I'm not sure if I can do anything at this time of year.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 22:25 by GreyScales »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Useless at rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 22:28 »
I can kill rhubarb too GS!!   :( :(

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 22:45 »
Oh that's a shame Greyscales. Perhaps there wasn't enough drainage as it sounds like they were waterlogged. Or buried too deep.

I grow rhubarb successfully in pots but I find that they are really quite hungry too - I have a Timperley Early and Hawks Champagne, one each in 42l trugs with holes drilled in the bottom. They are planted in a 50/50 mix of MPC and rotted stable manure and are flourishing. The pic attached is from last year when they were just 2-year crowns. Timperley Early on the right, the Hawks has been quite poor. And I know they would probably both still be happier in the ground.

I'd get some replacement crowns from the garden centre - but it also might help to ask whether they have been grown locally so you know they are used to your climate.

Hope you can find replacements.
84 - rhubarb July 2012.jpg

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 22:49 »
I am sure they rot if you bury too deep. Just rings a bell but i could be wrong, we planted ours so the crown was just above the ground.

They are hungry plants and ours love chicken poop and plenty of it.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 22:51 »
You've only killed 4 ?  ... amateur ! I'm into double digits.  :nowink:

I've followed all the advise and all the tricks, sown seed and planted crowns, my last attempt died earlier this year. I'll be sowing some more seed as soon as I can find the packet for transplanting next spring.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 22:55 »
Forgot to say we did have one in. The back garden, very poor, holes in every leaf, moved it out the front and its become a tree so maybe they are fussy.

Jackypam

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 22:57 »
Mine did well last year on toal neglect.  this year i fed it and watered it and it did nothing.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 23:13 »
I don't think it was a drainage problem, the one that survived is happily growing in the same pot and mix the others were put in. I haven't seen rhubarb crowns still for sale anywhere in my local area, I even tried to buy the single show plant they had on display at B&Q but they wouldn't let me have it >_>

Is it the totally wrong time of year to try from seed or should I spoil the single one that did grow and try again next year?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 23:15 by GreyScales »

snow white

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 08:49 »
I put mine right next to the compost heap.  They love it and are massive. :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 09:28 »
There are still some stocked online - Chris Bowers has a good variety of crowns and has a good reputation http://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/ Their stuff also comes with a no quibble replacement guarantee...

I'm too impatient to grow rhubarb from seed - I love it too much to want to wait. (probably why I won't have an asparagus bed either!)

hubballi

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 09:29 »
Me too. Second plant and it's getting SMALLER all the time.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 11:13 »
I put mine right next to the compost heap.  They love it and are massive. :)

That works for mine as well  ;)

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 11:43 »
ive got too much rhubarb, if you are ever down in worksop you can have some crowns.
mine were given me as crowns 2 years ago, and i just put them in the ground and covered them with muck, then left them alone he first year, this year they went mad.  perhaps somebody would donate/swap with you if they knew you were after some?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 12:44 »
I planted 2 nice crowns at our last house, (not too deeply)  but they died after a year.  Then when we got here, there were loads of wild rhubarb growing just down the dyke at the bottom of the garden.  Then I bought a couple of crowns as the wild stuff never gets very red.  Those 2 died, and in 2006 my friend gave me 2 lovely plants from the little nursery she worked at that was closing down.  They died after 2 years, and now the wild stuff has died too, but next door, they have tonnes of the wild stuff keeps growing every year, even they they don't like rhubarb, and only picked bits now and again for family or friends!

They even give me some occasionally!   :lol:

Sparkyrog

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 21:15 »
Only realised yesterday it likes full sun  :D
I cook therefore I grow

clip
Useless weedkiller

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 03, 2016, 20:45
by jezza
xx
Bonemeal - useless?

Started by wolveryeti on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 18, 2021, 07:34
by jambop
xx
Cauliflowers - pretty but useless

Started by ClaireMc on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 12:28
by muntjac
xx
cabbage root fly - collars useless

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 21:57
by muntjac

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 38 queries.