Squash recommendation

• 15 Replies

Debz

Squash recommendation
« on: February 19, 2013, 14:31 »
I would like to grow squash and pumpkins in my sisters raised beds.  The last few years, I have grown a lot of brassicas with mixed success and as I love squash and pumpkin and they store really well, I thought I would have a good go at them.  Can you offer me tips on how to best cultivate them given we are a bit cooler up here and what varieties would you recommend?  I love to use them in soups and with mixed roast veg.  Thanks in anticipation.

Auntiemogs

Re: Squash recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 15:03 »
It was my first year with them last year and I have raised beds too.  I grew Golden Nugget, which I planted through weed control fabric after digging in plenty of manure.  They are a bush type, so don't take up too much space and I just gave them a good sprinkling of slug pellets and watered them via soft drinks bottles planted next to them.

Still have some left and they are just big enough for two of us. :-)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 15:41 »
I had 2 great years out of 6 with 20+ squashes, with 2 years being poorer - 5 and 8 squashes and 2 less than 5 squashes.
Since then I've had really poor crops - the last 2 years I got none - but we had really wet late summers.

I was reading back through the old journal and my best crops were from 'Cobnut' which I think I remember was an early vigorous summer squash and 'Harrier F1' whixh I think was a winter squash so they took longer to mature but were able to last into the autumn before picking.

Hope thats some help.
As for the weather - can't help with that! :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 15:57 »
My favourites are Thelma Sanders and Uchiki Kuri. Harrier a small butternut type also cropped well for me last year -
but whether any of them would do well outside where you are tbh I don't know  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 17:45 »
It seems to me that even the early-maturing butternut varieties need everything going for them because they take just that bit longer to mature, and who is that confident about having a great summer these days?   :unsure:

I'd suggest Winter Festival and/or Uchiki Kuri where you are, maybe using a cloche for a while after planting out to try to gain a bit of productive growing time (unfortunately Winter Festival refers to when the stored squashes might be eaten rather than a fondness for growing in cold conditions!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 18:54 »
I grew Japanese squash last two years, they are flaky and very tasty indeed. Green squash with orange flesh inside. the skin is edible.
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 20:06 »
Uchiki Kuri would always be my first choice. Even last year when my other squash limped along looking sad, I still got a decent crop from the UKs. They just seem tougher and a bit faster to grow than the rest, and the fruit are a good size for two people. I also like them because I can grow them vertically up an old tree trunk with very little in the way of support, they seem to like it and it saves me a lot of space.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 21:42 »
I recommend winter festival - nice sized, attractive squashes that seem very easy to grow.  I have always had success with them and they are more nutty in flavour and less sweet than butternut squash.  I am trying Uchiki Kuri this year.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 22:20 »
I have had good success with butternut hunter.

I tried spaghetti squash last year - a good crop - but it wasn't as popular taste wise
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 22:30 »
last years harvest, some did better than others in the cold, wet summer!

14 Thelma Sanders from 2 plants (cream acorn squash left and right), not the tastiest but my most reliable cropper.
2 Celebration from 1 plant (front),
2 Festival from 1 plant (1 at front and 1 on right),
2 small orange Uchiki Kuri 1 plant
7 small Harrier butternuts from 1 plant (on right)
1  Crown Prince 1 plant (blue one in middle)
1 Hubbard, I think, as it lost its label - this one was tasteless  ::)
4 Tromba d'Albegna from 1 plant. This is a good climbing squash and more of these were eaten small as courgettes ;)

Debz

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 09:36 »
Thank you all for your suggestions.  What a beautiful collection MoS.  I will have a look through the seed catalogues and see which ones I can get from your lists.  Nothing ventured and all that.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 16:17 »
I have had good success with butternut hunter.

I tried spaghetti squash last year - a good crop - but it wasn't as popular taste wise

I bought 'Hunter' seeds in 2009 - that was the year I bought a lot of seeds from Unwins and nothing came up! ::)

Mum - like your Tromba d'Albegna - I tried these in 2009 and they grew but didn't last. Ended up buying 'Ponca' plants - not the best crop I ever grew.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 18:20 »
It may not be that adventurous - but I grew Hunter with good success - they were not huge but they were tasty and I got 20 +(if my memory serves me right) from 6 plants - -spaced one meter apart.  The weather was not  brilliant last year and I live in the Midlands - they are supposed to be suited to growing in the "colder " North - and to be fair they did what they said on the packet - so I would recommend them.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 19:31 »
Cant abide summer squash, but for winter would highly recommend Burgess Vine Buttercup for Winter Squash, fantastic dry eating quality.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 19:49 »
I've never had any luck with butternuts.

I don't have a greenhouse so am limited as to how early I can sow them and keep them indoors on a windowsill without them getting too leggy.

Add into that the fact they need a longish growing season, and they haven't ripened before the frosts.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Tomato recommendation

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 20:41
by Lee1978
xx
Tomato Recommendation

Started by argonaut on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2023, 03:52
by Snowboar
xx
Cabbage Recommendation

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2020, 22:29
by Elaine G
xx
Tomatoe recommendation

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 19:02
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.613 seconds with 35 queries.