A salutary tale.

• 6 Replies

orchardlady

A salutary tale.
« on: March 17, 2013, 17:55 »
In my delight and distraction that my daughter was coming home from University for the weekend at very short notice on Friday I totally forgot to close up my hens and ducks. Mr. Fox came a calling. He had the whole night to decimate my small flock of about 50 birds. He took approx 24 hens and ducks but left me the body of my gloriously beautiful Welsummer cockerel as I think his body was just too heavy to get over the fences. I was greeted by the remainder of the flock cowering in the hen houses, up trees and behind bushes. Poor, poor things. They lived through the carnage in the dark (hens and ducks don't see well in the dark worse than we do). I have kept hens for roughly 18 years now and have forgotten to shut the hens away for the night 4 times over that time. Each and every time the fox has been. When it snows I can always see his footprints going from one house to the next, just checking and I'm certain he checks each night. Just like a terrorist he only needs to be lucky once. So people, learn from my terrible mistake. I feel just awful about my slipped memory. These birds were in my care and I let them (fatally) down. :(

Orchardlady

Mrs Bee

Re: A salutary tale.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 18:20 »
I do sympathise with you. How awful.  :(
Foxes are really persistent. :mad:

We have ours behind an electric fence but I  forgot to attach the clip on one occasion. Luckily OH spotted it and no damage was done. We haven't lost any hens to the blighters but my little sister has lot three lots even with an electric fence.

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 18:30 »
Orchardlady - I am so sorry to hear what happened to you. It could happen to any of us - my OH actually saw a Fox take one of his favourite banty hens in broad daylight. I am sure many of us have  forgotten on occasions to lock up our hens and you should not be too hard on yourself.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 19:22 »
So sorry for your loss, we all make mistakes and as you say Mr Fox is very persistent.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 21:10 »
so sorry but this is so easy done and most of us will have forgotten to lock up on at least one occasion  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

wighty

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 22:06 »
I would love to have hens but won't.  I have a golf course behind me with a copse behind that and then in front is the common.  I know from tracks in our garden that we are the M1 equivalent for foxes and badgers.   Sorry to hear about your loss though.

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 19:21 »
Sorry to hear that Orchardlady, couldn't get to lock one of our coups last week & lost 4 fine cockerals (luckily he didn't discover the 10 birds in the coup beside it)

xx
a salutary lesson

Started by campanula on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 18:34
by joyfull
xx
A tale about a transvestite hen...

Started by Pollyanna on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 15:45
by LittleRedHen
xx
Tale of the missing chicken

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 10:04
by Springlands

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 39 queries.