raised seed damping off

• 8 Replies

rowlandwells

raised seed damping off
« on: March 06, 2018, 17:47 »
we used to grow antirrhinum from seed and dress the soil with a chemical I cant think what it was called I was looking for it in the garden centre couldn't find it and was told by a fellow gardener it was chestnut spray a copper based spray that had been banned by the good old EU 

so I was intending to by some antirrhinum plug plants then I was told you can use cinnamon to dress the seedlings when they start growing but not sure if you mix the cinnamon as a powder and at what strength don't even know if this is going to help  damping of the antirrinum 

can anyone give me any info on using cinnamon or any other  chemical to stop the seedlings damping off because i should like to have another go at growing antrrinums  :unsure:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 18:53 by sunshineband »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: raised seed damping off
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 18:55 »
I find the best way of preventing seedlings damping off is to have scrupulously clean trays/pots and new compost, then don't keep them too moist.

I grew antirrhinums from seed last year with no trouble so hopefully this will help and you will have a good display
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 19:20 »
I  note what your saying S/B  did you sow the seed in a propagator or in the warm greenhouse presumably in a warm greenhouse

as I  like antirrhinums I'm going to give them a go after your advise many thanks Rowland Wells

Pescador

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 07:01 »
The product was called Chesunt Compound, based on Copper sulphate.
Good hygiene and tap water will go a long way to help. Bayers Fruit and Vegetable Disease Control is based on Copper oxi-chloride and may provide some extra help.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 10:06 »
Bayers Fruit and Vegetable Disease Control is based on Copper oxi-chloride and may provide some extra help.

Actually it won't. Per the RHS:

"Copper oxychloride (Bayer Garden Fruit and Vegetable Disease Control) is being withdrawn and cannot be sold after the 30th November 2014 and remaining stocks must be used or disposed of before the 30th November 2015."
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 10:10 »
I have also found that cleaning all trays and pots for sowing with a little milton helps but I also discovered that if I use slug pellets in the greenhouse where the seeds are germinating to stop the slugs munching on the seedlings that I get a awful lot of mould growth and damping off the minute the slug pellets get wet.

Pescador

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 17:14 »
Oops, apologies to all.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 19:50 »
I  note what your saying S/B  did you sow the seed in a propagator or in the warm greenhouse presumably in a warm greenhouse

as I  like antirrhinums I'm going to give them a go after your advise many thanks Rowland Wells

No I just sowed them in a warm place.

I should also have added that using tepid tap water rather than either cold tap water (saves shocking them) or water from the water but, which could have all sorts of fungi etc in it even if it looks clean

jcbuz1970

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 12:28 »
I've been reading about using cinnamon sprinkled around seedings as an anti fungal helps prevent damping off, or is this an old wives tale ?

xx
Damping off disease

Started by ricky on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 05, 2018, 11:30
by JayG
xx
Raised beds

Started by emma.ash on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 22:35
by trogg
xx
New Raised beds

Started by SJC on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2017, 15:05
by Yorkie
xx
Raised beds

Started by greenie on General Gardening

34 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 13:33
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 48 queries.